Topic

NeoShell from Polartec, the eVent slayer?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeoShell from Polartec, the eVent slayer?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

What do you think of Dane at coldthistle.com?
    “I switched a few years ago to all Schoeller style clothing. But unbelieving in just how far I really needed to go I bought all the gear in an insulated form.
    To be specific Arteryx Gamma MX hoody and pants. I have worn out a set of both over time. And I still love both of them for climbing. But for everything but the very coldest weather (below -20C) I find that material (Polartec Power Shield in the Gamma MX line) to be too much now.

Why too much? Too heavy physically, too warm and not breathable enough.

OK, you ask, "WTF, Dane?" "That is a $400 piece of kit (Gamma MX Hoody) you encouraged me to buy last year and now you are telling me it is rubbish?…too warm?…too heavy?"

I am using a R1 Hoody inner layer. MEC makes R1 tops and bottoms for something like $60 retail. Or you can buy Patagonia's for $150. Same exact material and in several ways the MEC clothing is better designed imo. Now there is an easy decision?!

Yep, just the R1 and nothing between it and my skin.

– Going warm to colder temps are:

Eddie Bauer Front Point jacket…
    – a combo hard shell and soft shell.
    – Very water resistant (my top was dry in a soaking waterfall that went straight through my pants and filled my boots to the brim)
    – and very breathable. I am highly impressed with the details of this garment and the combo of materials used. A surprising and almost immediate favorite for cold technical climbing.

-OR-

Arcteryx Atom Lt Hoody….
    – lightly insulated shell
    – with stretch vented sides and under the arms.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Robert

i believe that dane has it nailed in his post …. I have the atom lt and am not as impressed by it as he is … But like him i found that unless it was below 0f powershield was just too much with a 30 lb pack and going uphill

he climbs a lot and calls it like he sees it

imo he's done a great service to the community exposing the new petzl nomic failures

heres my total unscientific "trust" modifier for blogs and mags
    – depends on ad revenue … -10
    – sponsored … – 5
    – generic pics … -5
    – full review being walking the dog and standing in a shower …- 20
    – no negative reviews on other gear … – 20
    – short 1 to 2 paragraph "review" … – 20
    – 3 month or longer review … +10
    – test gear till destruction … +10
    – action pics …. +5
    – prev gave bad gear reviews +10
    – use extensive amount of gear … +10
    – bought gear himself + 10000000000

etc ….

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools