Topic

need to learn self-arrest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism need to learn self-arrest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    william hutchinson

@okuncool

Locale: midwest (boo hoo)

here is my problem,
    i am planning a thru-hike of the pct in 07′ foro which i have a few years of hiking experience, but zero mountaineering experience. i would like to learn the self-arrest techniques before i go however i live in the midwest. (no mountains). so what should i do. the nearest mountains i live near are the appalacians and i am not sure i can afford to get out west before the trip. i was thinking of trying to meet somone around kennedey meadows on the trip to show me, but that seems risky. any suggestions? also any suggestions on ultralight ice axes would be appreciated. i was thinking of that all alluminum grivel.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Most likely you should be able to find someone to help you learn. Self arrest is quite important to know when traveling in the snow. The Sierra’s have many passes (sounded like you aredoing the PCT). No question if you are doing the PCT, learn it from someone. After you do learn it practice and practice more. Try sliding downhill headfirst on your back, slide headfirst on your belly, and try every different body angle. It will make you more comfortable when the time comes for self arrest. Hope that helps.

william hutchinson

@okuncool

Locale: midwest (boo hoo)

any ideas on where i could do that. does it really need to be a mountain. how much snow needs to be on the ground.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

you need to slide downhill to simulate a fall. There is no other way.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Do not attempt to learn to self arrest with crampons on in the beginning, catch a point/get a cast.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Good point Larry and something that I totally missed. Correct.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

It would be nice if you could take a BMC, basic mountaineering course. You need a snow covered hill with a safe run out and some fairly heavy duty clothing. It would be interesting to try on a hill covered with iceplant or wet grass but I’m not washing your clothes and it really isn’t the same experience.
    You need to pick up a copy of Freedom of the Hills, by the Mountaineers, and at least practice the positions and concepts before you meet up with someone in the Sierras. I’m sure any guide service will help you out if you can’t find a volunteer, we also used to offer this training as part of Mountain Rescue.
    Find some snow, find a friend , good luck.
    The grivel is a fine tool, if you are only going to own one ice axe get one that is uiaa certified.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

To practice self-arrest you don’t need to be on a mountain. Any snowy slope will do, in fact learning is better done on a small, safe slope as opposed to a deadly avalanche chute.

This winter once there is snow on the ground go to your local park or golf course with your ice axe, find a hill with a bit of steepness and not too much length and practice.

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

Absolutely – any decent slope will do.

There’s nothing that can replicate the feeling of hurtling down a slope upside down and backwards, wearing a pack, and making the right moves to self arrest, other than actually doing it.

If you have someone to show you how to do it and “spot” you, that is far and away the best, short of an actual class.

The classes I’ve taken have given me other skills and I certainly recommend going for something like that if you have the access and time. On one mountaineering class I brought along my own lightweight gear (Cassin Ghost, Kahtoola crampons, backpack) so I could simulate as closely as possible what it would be like if I actually had to use the skills while backpacking with that minimal equipment.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools