Topic

Wind-shirt pattern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wind-shirt pattern

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Jansen

@bdjansen

Locale: Western Washington

Hey guys, I'm looking to make a wind-shirt for myself and I'd like to know if you have a favorite pattern that you have used yourself.

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

The Liberty Ridge from thru-hiker.com is popular. I have made several of these with different materials. It is a good pattern and easy to make. The fit can be customized without to much trouble. With 1.1oz RS nylon in size medium it weighs 65g. I'm working on one from the M50 fabric right now. It should be under 2oz.

Robert Coleman

@jbo_c

I'd like to do that. Can you get just the pattern? I've got LOADS of material.

Jbo

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

This probably doesn't help much unless you have some experience, but I've made a number of wind shirts from modified rain/wind parka patterns (e.g. old REI and Green Pepper patterns).

Skip all the doo-dads, shorten the body, then combine the remaining parts into just a few pattern pieces. I get one big piece for the back/arms, one for the front (cut two pieces), one for the hood sides (cut two), one for the hood top/back. Add 1/2" elastic for the cuffs and a #3 zipper.

Since there are so few pieces you can sew one in no time. Don't forget to sear the edges (carefully!).

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I would very highly recommend searing the edges with a soldering iron rather than an open flame. I find it goes faster and is very easy with the soldering iron. Nylon is so flammable that the open flame always produces miserable results for me. YMMV.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

+1 on the thru-hiker pattern. I made mine from the momentum fabric and use it all the time. If you don't want to get the kit, there are some patterns at seattlefabrics like these:
    seattle fabrics dk sport patterns

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools