Topic

Summerlite vs. Megalite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summerlite vs. Megalite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Are the Summerlite and Megalite the same bags except the Megalite has a larger girth? Is the difference in temp rating due to being able to fit more down in because of the additional girth? Same fabric? What I am wondering is should I get a Megalite to use in colder weather, I currently have a Summerlite which fits me fine. Is it pointless to get the ML or should I just use the SL with supplemental down clothing?

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

The main difference, of course, is the width of the Megalite vs. the Summerlite. Many lean people don't like the extra width of the Megalite because it adds weight, and takes extra time to warm up the space. On the other hand, larger people like myself want the extra Megalite space.

The temperature difference< I believe, is due to the Megalite having a passive top collar, which the Summerlite does not. I think, a minor detail. The extra down in the Megalite is due simply to the extra (material) space that has to be filled. Each still specs at 4" of the same fill power down.

If I were a lean person, I would wear clothes in the Summerlite to add warmth during the short shoulder seasons. When those seasons pass, I think you would need a warmer bag than either the Summerlite or Megalite.

I had both the above bags (still have the Megalite), and like them both. Anything WM is great. But I now prefer quilts for their light weight, ample space unless cold, and thus their overall flexibility and comfort.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

If I'm not mistaken. Having both bags would seem redundant. Better to get an ultralight or versalight if you are looking for a colder weather bag. The wider bag could take you colder in that if you had the clothes you could layer more inside of it.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

You may want to get a quilt that will cover the top of your Summerlite for colder weather – if,that is, a quilt is a fairly less expensive option to a winter bag.

A quilt option needs mating snaps sewn onto the quilt and bag. Snaps require far less sewing than Velcro and are actually more secure.

BTW, I have a Megalite that I've used in the low teens with synthetic insulated jacket and pants B/C the Megalite had enough girth to accomodate them. I was nice and warm. Thus the insulated clothes did dual duty as sleeping and camp wear &/or emergency items in a bad cold snap.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Yes, pretty much

Not really. Pretty much the passive draft collar.

Yes, pointless to get the ML given that you have the SL. I easily wear down clothing in my SL.

It does depend just how cold you're trying to go. If you're thinking zero to teens, I'd get a warmer bag (think Apache or Antelope). If you're just trying to get into the mid 20s, you'll probably be fine, though I'd take some extra head insulation (or plan on wearing the jacket's down hood).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools