Topic

My MYOG Barber Pole Top Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My MYOG Barber Pole Top Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

It weighs 14.05 ounces and is made out of .9 ounce DWR coated ripstop from OWFInc.

SUL Top Quilt 1

I used 3.7 ounce Climashield Combat synthetic insulation from Thru hiker.

SUL Top Quilt 2

It is a tapered flat quilt with a drawstring footbox.

SUL Top Quilt 3

I used plastic/resin snaps to form the footbox and close the "collar" at the shoulders.

SUL Top Quilt 4

SUL Top Quilt 5

I used 1/2" grosgrain ribbon loops and shockcord with a mini cord lock to help close up the back.

SUL Top Quilt 6

The footbox and "collar" cinch up with 3/32" yellow and purple drawcord from Quest Outfitters.

SUL Top Quilt 7

Felled seams were used wherever the two colors are "barber poled" together.

The insulation is secured only around the edges.

FWIW I "barber poled" this quilt for the fun of it and the look that resulted. It ceased being "fun" after the third long diagonal felled seam in the .9 ounce rip stop. ;-(

The good news is that I now have a much lighter and warm top quilt to use on the AT this coming season. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Very fun!

-Tim

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Tim,

Many thanks for all of the advice and input on my "fun" project. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

FWIW I "barber poled" this quilt for the fun of it and the look that resulted

Good for you, I do things all the time for fun! It looks great, and the weight is very impressive. Keep up the good work!

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

Very nice, I really like the diagonal lines.

What is your expected temp range?

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

You were so kind to site the sources for all your materials. Where did you get the plastic snaps? Do you need an expensive tool to set them? Thanks, Scott

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Chris,

Thirty-five degrees.

I took its predecessor out on the AT last June and was very comfortable down to the upper forties. It was made from ripstop nylon and generic "quilting" insulation from a local fabric store.

Naturally I plan on sleeping wearing my base layer, sleeping socks, polypro knit hat and whatever other clothes the weather demands.

My wife tried it out INDOORS on an air mattress wearing light clothing and had to climb out of it after only 12 to 15 minutes or so. :-)

Her comment was something like, that thing is warm!

Party On,

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Scott,

So sorry that I forgot to mention that the snaps came from Kamsnaps.com and that they are size #24.

They really have good holding power.

A snap setting press can cost up to $87.00 but I chose to go with the snap setting pliers that sell for $27.00 and $1.00 more additional charge for the #24 dies.

You have to pay attention to the thickness of the material where you install the snaps. You have to have enough plastic "post" sticking through to "peen" over with the snap setting pliers to form a secure installation.

Party On,

Newton

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Kamsnaps – great place. I grabbed a bunch of them and used them on the doors of the shelter you see in my avatar. Like Newton, I also went with the pliers over the press. Takes a few to get the hang of it, but works great once you do.

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

How many layers?

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have question is the OWF .90 oz./ 20 denier ripstop nylon calendar like momentum? Good looking quilt.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

@ Patrick,

I assume that you're reffering to layers of insulation. One layer of 3.7 ounce Climashield Combat. Its CLO value is 3.7* 0.78= 2.9 according to Thru Hiker's website.

@ Terry,

Thanks for the good words.

This is what OWFInc's website says about this fabric.

>>This lightweight fabric is a down proof, safe and tear resistant with DWR.<<
    >>Excellent for breathable sections of tents, sleeping bags, clothing, etc.<<

It says nothing about calendering. They have an email address set up for questions.

For Questions: [email protected]

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools