Topic

Gear List – JMT Late Summer 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List – JMT Late Summer 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

Brad – I am renting the Bearikade – Go to Wild Ideas website

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have updated the gear list in my profile and have made a few changes:

-I am now thinking of wearing running shorts under my hiking pants instead of boxer briefs. I figure I can wear them swimming (if I do any) and if I wash my hiking pants on the trip. Thoughts?

-I added some 0.6oz fingerless sun gloves

-I have changed my sleeping pad to a 10 panel Z-lite. I much prefer the Ridgerest but this allows me to carry the bear canister with my favorite pack the SMD '10 Swift instead of my heavier GG Mariposia Plus. I will test carry the canister on a trip to make sure it is comfortable and I have been using the Z-lite on the past few trips with my ULA Conduit.

-I added some sunscreen for my face

-I moved the camera to my base pack weight as it will be carried in a hipbelt pocket instead of a pants pocket after the pack change. This is really just a on paper change as I would be carrying it either way.

Some notes about the trip:

I will be going with five other people and we are splitting our cooking, water treatment, and navigation weight. My part of the group gear is a 230g isobutane canister. We will have a stove/cookpot, water treatment, and map/compass (GPS too I believe) in the group.

Any other thoughts on my list for 6 days on the JMT starting at Onion Valley and heading north mid September?

Ray Dunham

@raymond

Locale: SE US

I'd only go with 2 socks.
    Keep a framed pack for the bear canister.
    Use Alpinlite 1.25 and save buying a Meteor Bivy.

Nice work.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Thanks for your insight Ray. I am only taking two pairs of socks and just plan on alternating between the two. I used to take three pairs of socks here for longer trips they don't dry quickly, but lately I have actually only been taking one and it has worked out OK. I wouldn't want to sleep in wet socks when it drops below freezing though.

I am going to experiment with the bear canister/SMD Swift/Z Lite combo in Pisgah next month. It seems to work OK around the house. I could try it in a couple of weeks in GSMNP, but I would still have to hang the canister so I will wait until I am somewhere with less stringent regulations to try it out.

A Meteor bivy has been on my want list for a long time. I like the fact that I can use it with my Gatewood Cape or Shangri-La 3 too. I am not sure when I will break down and buy one but I hope to be able to go without any bug protection in September except for the headnet, but you are right, I can use the Alpinlite if needed, I am just trying to offset the weight penalty of the bear canister.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools