Topic

Which of these packs will do better with heavier gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which of these packs will do better with heavier gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Steven Inge

@tnis0612

My mom is asking me for recommendations for my brother for a pack for christmas. His gear is light, but definitely not ultra-light (3lb bag, 4.5lb tent). She really doesnt want to spend anymore than $150. So my thoughts were, GG mariposa plus, ULA Condiut, REI flash 50, or Golite jam. Does anybody have any thoughts on which of these is more comfortable carrying more weight? Or any other suggestions in that price range? He probably wont ever do anything more than a 3-4 day trip. Thanks!

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I've had good luck with both the ULA Catalyst and REI Flash 65 packs. For $150, that puts you in the REI 50 pack.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

If his total pack weight is over 20 lbs or so, he would probably be more comfortable with some of the framed packs you mentioned (maybe add the Granite Gear Vapor Trail to the list)….but as another option…if you think he might be interested in lightening up his load, then $150 could get him started on a great lightweight setup. Right now with the code DSW10, Golite.com has Jams for $90. You could get a coated nylon Campmor 8×10 tarp for about $35. Some $10 window shrinkwrap insulation from Home Depot would make a nice groundcloth. If he needs guylines or stakes, those can be found cheaply too. So, you could stay under $150 and get him started on a much lighter setup.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Steven,

Gossamer Gear has the Mariposa Plus on sale right now for $144.50. :-)

FYI only, as I have no personal experience with this pack.

Jason Klass did a really fine You Tube video review of this pack on his website.

Party On,

Newton

Edited to repair broken link ;-)

David Ure

@familyguy

Look for the Golite Quest on sale ($175 MSRP). You will not fit a 4.5lb tent and 3lb sleeping bag in any of the packs you mentioned without leaving the food at home …. ; )

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

My vote would be the conduit, although the Mariposa might work. Depends on how heavy the rest of his gear is, or if he plans to reduce the weight of the bag and tent someday. And I will say that for me, the Mariposa was more comfortable than the Jam2 with an identical load. You might check the GoLite website though, there was a 40% off code posted above. Hard to beat that price, and you could get something like a Golite Pursuit with a frame.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

+1 for what David said, the packs you mention are too small volume wise for a 3lb bag and a tent. You might get away with using a ULA Catalyst, but if it were me, I'd be looking into a larger full framed pack. 60 liter or larger. Although, I did do a 4 day trip with my ULA Circuit, and carried a BA Cooper Spur-1, but used a small lightweight quilt, that weighs 20oz and packs down very small. The cooper spur packs down fairly small too though.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

These are really nice packs. The Flash 65 should be enough room for that type of gear and they're light relative to the other equipment you mentioned – just over 3 lbs. The 65 is $169 so not much over your price point. Plus you'll get the REI lifetime guarantee. Also options to remove components and drop the weight to 2lbs. I've used one for just a bit but found it very comfortable. My 2 cents.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

The typical baseweight associated with a 3# bag & 4.5# tent is probably going to exceed the comfortable capacity of a UL pack… & there's probably not going to be nearly enough volume. And that's OK! But I wouldn't buy a small UL pack for a non-UL load; he'd be miserable.

Someone mentioned the GoLite Quest as a possibility; I'd also look at Deuter packs. Something like the ACT Zero is 3# & ~$170.

I'd go for a larger-volume pack for the bulkier gear, and a more substantial frame for a heavier base.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

there's only one way to find out

go to your nearest REI with yr brother and have him try on every pack with 30 lbs worth or weight … up and down the stairs

if youre going to go cottage … make sure that they have a good return policy

thats the only way … fit is everything

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Since the most important component of a comfortable pack is fit, fit, fit, I would strongly recommend giving him a check that he can use towards buying the pack he wants. I'd say the chances are 50-75% that if you buy him a pack as a gift, it will have to be returned.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

It's tricky buying a pack as a gift, between gear weight, gear volume, pack size, belt size, etc. +1 to what eric said about making sure returns/swaps will be hassle free.

Nice thing about getting a pack from REI, Backcountry is that he'd have a lot of other options for packs if he wanted to upgrade on his own dime. I know if it were me and a relative got me a new pack, tent, or sleeping bag I'd appreciate the thoughtfulness but it'd probably not be what I wanted. I don't know about your brother, but when someone gives me an almost-but-not-quite gift that I can't exchange/return it ends up in the closet.

Between the 3 lb bag and 4.5 lb tent, I would steer away from the ULA Conduit, Golite Jam, and anything else frameless. IMHO, the Mariposa Plus may work, but might not be the most appropriate. You can find the Nimbus Ozone within your limit, might be a better choice than the Vapor Trail.

Good luck, and I hope he loves it!

EDIT: +10 to what Mary said!

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Deuter packs are adjustable so it makes a good safe bet as long as his torso is under 21".

My girlfriend has one and loves it. I bought another for my son. Good solid 'general' pack if you want a safe bet. There are more wise packs(mentioned) but your getting yourself into tastes.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I have to change my vote, I was confusing my Conduit with my Circuit. Circuit yes, Conduit no. I have the aluminum stay on my Circuit, and I think it handles being overloaded better than my Mariposa.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

I would reccomend the Golite or REI packs. And for sure take advantage of the extra 40% off if you go with the GOLITE route.

-Sam

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

First thing I say to someone wanting to buy a pack as a gift is that whatever we select, it probably won't fit. You absolutely have to try a number of packs on to ensure the most comfortable fit.

However, many people feel that giving a gift as a surprise is more personal & "of the moment," I guess. It's less, well, business-like then the whole "Let's go in & try packs on, then I'll wrap it up & you can act surprised" routine.

What I do with people is determine what kind of use the pack is likely to get, show them a few options that would fit the need (& selecting options that tend to have easier fits), & send them out with a pack. I tell the gift-giver that this way they have something for the person to open day-of, but they'll want to include a trip to the store to get a proper fitting.

Many shops have some leniency around the holidays for returns; buy a pack you think will work, then after it's been opened/received go into your local shop & fit some. If the one they opened actually fits well, sweet! If not, no big deal… the idea and thought were there, there was some pleasure in the opening, & in the end you get a pack that fits…

MIchael MacCormac
    BPL Member

@mmacc

sixmoon designs traveler is on sale for $157.25- recommended max load is 35 lbs and holds 62 liters- very similar to the REI flash 65 (not sure of max rec load)

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

The REI Flash 65 should be a great choice given his other gear.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

When I used to carry a 4.5#tent (walrus zoid 2) and 3#bag (NF super kazoo) my loads were 45# plus cause every thing else was in the same line and heavy sometimes up to 60#. Does he know what his packs weighed before or is he new to this maybe the backpacking light bible would be a good gift. Note the items above were once bought to lighten up. Im with dave that the packs you listed would be a little light for the weights and volumns he most likely will carry.And if he is wanting to lighten up gradually the pack is not the place to start. Ive seen the Aether 60 on sale for 180 and less that was a pretty comfortable pack for me I just finally went to something lighter myself.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools