Topic

SPOT2 Personal Locator Review and Extensive Field Test

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable SPOT2 Personal Locator Review and Extensive Field Test

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"This is not a defect of the SPOT but the nature of satellite coverage."

Actually, it is the nature of Globalstar satellite coverage, not satellites in general.

–B.G.–

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Fourth, I have now had two SPOT-2 devices COMPLETELY FAIL while on hiking trips, one in May2011 and the other in Oct2011. The GPS chip stopped working, and the devices were dead-weight. In both cases SPOT replaced the unit. However, this level of reliability is a huge problem. This is one reason I think it's critical that the home-base knows that an absence of messages does not necessarily mean there is a problem. I'm still a fan of the SPOT concept and functional design. However, the reliability problems I've had make me eager to see some other company offer a competitive product.

while im sure there are PLBs that are duds … and that those dont get reported as much due to the "use only when shiet happens"

IMO this level of failure is not acceptable at all … even if SPOT replaces the unit, if something happens on the trip, yr up the creek with no paddle …

Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools