Topic

PCT Section E Nov. 24-28

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports PCT Section E Nov. 24-28

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

I hiked south bound from Oak Creek (near Tehachapi) to Agua Dulce over Thanksgiving weekend. It was a 104 mile stretch. Pictures were taken with a Motorola Droid cell phone.

Day 1 (Nov. 24)
    I drove up to Agua Dulce on Wednesday morning and got a ride up to the trail head. I got started at 3PM and hiked about 7 miles in a biting wind and spent a chilly night at 6,200 ft (the highest point on this hike).

Fog and wind turbines
    Fog and wind turbines

Rolling fog

Rolling fog
    Rolling fog

Day 2 (Nov. 25)
    Woke up to 19 degrees and a stiff breeze. Not a nice morning. I got underway at 6:30. The plan for the trip had been to get a good start on Wednesday afternoon and then average 25 mi/day for the rest of the trip. In the 1st 90 minutes of Thanksgiving I covered 6 miles on a 1,500 ft downhill and I knew that having a 33 mile day and reaching a hot shower at Hiker Town was going to be quite doable considering the rest of the day would be downhill or on the flat of the Los Angeles Aquaduct. After I had gotten to lower elevation the wind subsided and it warmed some and it turned into a very pleasant day. It was not the most scenic section of trail I've hiked as most of the 2nd half was along the aquaduct. I reached Hiker Town at 7.

Sunrise over the Mohave
    Sunrise over the Mohave

The Tehachapi Range
    The Tehachapi Range

Sunset in the Mohave
    Sunset in the Mohave

Day 3 (Nov. 26)
    Got an early start and quickly started climbing back into the mountains. The day was pleasant and clear with some great views of both sides of the mountains including glimpses of the Pacific. Ended up having a 30 mile day and had a nice, soft campsite under some pine trees.

Mohave desert and the Tehachapi Range
    Mohave desert and the Tehachapi Range

The Pacific Ocean (it's in the picture, I swear)
    The Pacific Ocean (it's out there, I swear)

Good day

It was a big acorn year
    It was a big acorn year

Day 3 (Nov. 27)
    The day started out clear but would deteriorate by the end. Covered 27 miles with several moderate climbs and descents through a lot of Chaparral.

Water cache
    Interesting water cache. There were lawn chairs, inflated palm trees, pink flamingos, beer, and this dude.

More chaparral
    More chaparral

Day 4 (Nov. 28)
    The last night on the trail was windy with snow showers. It was a short morning with 6 downhill miles to town and another 2 miles to the Anderson's and my car.
    I owe a big thank you to Ed Anderson (Mendo Rider) and his wife Jereen for the ride to the trail head and breakfast when I finished.

tent
    My Z-pack Hexamid stood up well in the heavy winds and little bit of snow.

Billy Goat
    The legendary Billy Goat pulled up out of the blue and we had a nice chat. A great end to a fun weekend.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

NICE pictures and skeleton H2O Guy!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Great trail report! It looks like Chuck has lost some weight since I saw last him in May.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

We had a record acorn year on the East coats as well.
    Like hiking on ball bearings some times.

Hope to do that section soon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools