Topic

MLD NEWS !!! MOMENTUM 50

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals MLD NEWS !!! MOMENTUM 50

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Announcing Momentum 50!!!

A 10d ripstop fabric with a Teflon DWR finish.

It's over 30% lighter than our proven LW workhorse DWR fabric – Momentum 90.

Now available for order on the Spirit Quilts and SuperLight Bivy's for a small premium.

Limited initial stock!!!! Only orange color right now.

Shaves about an ounce off the bivy and 3oz off the Quilt.

(Keep in mind we make our reg/med size bivy's and quilts a quite bit larger than almost everyone else.)

Combine the Cuben Bottom and a Momentum 50 top options and you get a very light DWR bivy for about 5oz.

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

how much premium are we talking about?
    just out of curiosity, is there any plan on using this material on the litesoul bivy (make it a sub-4 oz bivy)?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Yes!

We can make the LiteSoul with the 50. It would be the lightest DWR top / WP bottom bivy with a zip out there. A zipperless version would be about 3 something oz !

+$30 on any bivy top.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Wow….30% lighter is a lot! Lightweight shell fabrics for sleeping bags etc. is a great way to save weight. My understanding is that Momentum 90 weighs about 0.9oz, so we are talking about 0.6 to 0.65oz/yd…sweet!

MLD should sell a down quilt. I'd be all over a Momentum 50 down quilt with about 11oz of 900fp down at about 18oz total weight.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thanks Ron – that is exciting stuff!

I hope to see some double wall winter tent liners out of this fabric.

Hmm…Duomid Inner with solid walls? = sub 2 lb. Winter tent!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

You have no idea how f'n awesome this is. Amazing…

David Ure

@familyguy

Ron, is there a noticeable difference in tear strength between the fabrics?

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@lexeverything

Locale: Joshua Tree

I imagine that Thru-Hiker will eventually sell this? If so… i'll be making some new quilts! …if it comes in black ;) actually, a quilt would look kinda hot in orange… when will this be available to the DIY'ers?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

@Steve – I can here the gears turning!

It may be time to start a thread under GEAR, but Pertex has a 10D 25 g/sq m (0.74 oz/sq yd) Pertex® Syncro out as well, which is already being used by TNF and RAB. It would be great to get a round up of current lightweight breathable fabrics with a cache of stats.

My guess is that the actual weight of the Momentum 50 is around .74 oz/sq yd. with the DWR (since Momentum is 1.05 oz./yd per MLD's website). I wonder how durable the Teflon treatment is.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It would be interesting to know the weight of the 7D nylon fabric that Montbell uses on a few items. They should start using this in their sleeping bags too.

A good half a pound or more of anyones baseweight (except Tim Marshall quilt users) is the shell fabrics for their quilt/sleeping bag. These fabrics have the potential to lop 0.2 lbs or more off our baseweights with these lighter fabrics.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

It would be interesting to know the weight of the 7D nylon fabric that Montbell uses on a few items. They should start using this in their sleeping bags too.

"7 denier Ballistic Airlight 0.74 oz/yd2 (25 g/m2)" per Janet Reichl and Will Rietveld: [link to review of MB Ex Light Jacket]

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

WOW indeed!

But regarding the weight of Momentum 90 … as is a very common and long established practice in the fabric industry, the 0.9oz/yd^2 is the weight of the raw woven fabric before any treatment. After finishing with the DWR (maybe the dye too, I'm not sure), Momentum weighs in at about 1.05oz/yd^2.

Either way (weigh:-), 30% is a nice weight reduction and it's great to see cottage companies putting in the effort to get this kind of stuff!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Just an FYI, I emailed thru-hiker this morning and he said he was going to have it up on his site soon.

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@lexeverything

Locale: Joshua Tree

Awesome news Steve! Christmas quilt project ;)

I do have to say… I've been using my Momentum quilt all year, and it has not leaked any down at all. Great stuff.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Thru-hiker will have it in a day or two in limited qtys for right now – like MLD- in limited qtys for right now.

It is 10d X 10d , downproof, about 24gms sq/m – a little over .7 oz sq/yd , a nice Teflon DWR finish.

Note that there are a lot of DWR treatments and this one is pretty good.

Dave Foreman

@davidforeman

Ron

So the Momentum 90 and the Momentum 50 both have Teflon DWR finishes? Do you have any reccomendations for renewing them?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

To quote Richard N.'s earlier post –

"Fluorocarbon DWR's are the most durable but, sustained rain and/or abrasion will quickly negate their effectiveness. My average Alaska bushwhacking distance, in intermittent rain, averages about 60 miles before the DWR is no longer effective.

"In most cases, a household dryer, iron, or hair dryer is needed to make the fluorocarbon tails stand back up and reactivate the DWR (reduced surface tension). An approximate 140F temp for about 15 minutes is needed. If this doesn’t work, more DWR needs to be applied and then heat treated."

Dave Foreman

@davidforeman

Greg, Thanks!

Ron, So is the M90 Teflon also?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

The M90 is not a specifically a Teflon branded DWR- it is very similar and is extremely high quality just like the M50 Teflon brand DWR.

Momentum 50 Specs
    Base Weight: 0.5 oz/yd2
    Finished Weight: 0.7 oz yd2 (24g/m2)
    Finish: Teflon DWR
    Downproof
    10dx10d
    Years in the making, we're thrilled to offer the immediate availability Momentum 50, the lightest downproof fabric available today at a remarkable finished weight of just 0.7 oz/yd2 (24g/m2).

Momentum 50 will be in extremely short supply until the spring when our full color lots start arriving.

At MLD we only have enough for a limited run of bivy's and quilts right now. We expect that this first supply to be all scheduled with new orders by the middle of this month if not sooner.

We appreciate our customer support that allows us to continue to innovate and push the limits in high quality UL gear. It's always a little bit of risk on our end to invest so much capital into the cutting edge and It's all of you who make these advances happen! Thanks!

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I just received a few yards of Momentum 90 from Paul at Thru-Hiker and the weight I measure is 1.15 oz/yd².

Dave Foreman

@davidforeman

Ron

OK so I think I follow. The M90 is generic PTFE ie. flourocarbon DWR, while the M50 is DuPonts "Teflon" branded PTFE. Correct?

Dave Foreman

@davidforeman

Bump

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools