Topic

Fire Screen / Spark Arrest Screen source?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fire Screen / Spark Arrest Screen source?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

Does anyone know a source for the type of screen used by Titanium Goat and other wood stove makers?

I've been trying to find something for some time to act as a top for my ultralight / hobo style wood stove to allow me to use it in closer proximity to my summer tarp, golite shangri-la, and OR aurora bivy without the constant fear of sparks putting holes in them.

The ideal material would I think be stainless steel, but the key thing I think is just finding something the right weight and fine-ness.

== multi-usefulness ==

In addition this may have multiple other uses.

The thinking is this could do double duty as:

# a grill top

# pot holder: should be able to easily bear the weight a typical 700ml pot with a maxium of 500ml of water

# may even be able to be covered with a little aluminum foil for a little frying action

# may be used to quickly improvise a sturdy, durable none-melting windscreen with aluminum foil.

# may potentially be used as a pot stand for an accompanying alcohol stove

This all in addition to arresting sparks.

On top of this there are a couple other characteristics that I like about this idea.

# can easily roll up in my evernew 700 pot

# should be very light

== research thus far ==

My primary problem thus far is I can't find a source for material of the right weight.

For example, splatter screens for stove top frying pans are extremely common but these are way to fine and as expected just melt away when put directly over a hot stove.

This is not to say that I've exhausted the splatter screen avenue, perhaps there is some heavy duty stainless steel commercial grade splatter screen or something?

Fireplace screens seem very much of the right weight and fine-ness (if not a little to heavy duty) but I haven't yet broken down to buying a whole fireplace screen just to get about five or so square inches of screen.

I've tried very hard to identify keywords and meme's. Indeed "spark arrest" and "fire screen" have been the most useful thus far, but I still cannot find what i'm looking for.

I've also taken to wandering around hardware stores like lowes, home depot, menards, ace, tractor supply.

You would think this wouldn't be to hard… but I still can't find anything.

non yep

@yep

Locale: sonoran desert

I know this isn't what your looking for, but it works for me. Satisfies all your multiuse aims except for pot holder, which is what my "ultralight / hobo style wood stove" is for. I also use the foil underneath as a scar plate and windscreen if necessary–when the wind really picks up, a screen upwind is probably the more important spark arrester than the downwind screen. I have also used this as a backup stove when wood is just not an option (backup esbit tab or extra alcohol/olive oil stove when it is completely soaked out; or a reading candle/wax holder).

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Send TiGoat an email, we can sell you a piece of the SS screen we use for a couple bucks, then you wont have to buy a great big piece.

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

I found something that seems to take the heat but is not rustproof.

Kity litter, pooper scooper. Cut apart it rolls out nice and flat.

May eventuly contact TiGoat, but I'm going to keep experimenting a little more so I know if it's going to work and what i need before I go and start ordering stuff.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools