Topic

Neoair and Z lite for winter Cmaping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Neoair and Z lite for winter Cmaping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

another alternative- someone posted (in another thread) using a 1/8" thinlight on the bottom (2 oz) and then a 3/8" thinlight on top (5 oz) w/ the neo in the middle- basically a neo sandwich :)

r value of roughly 4.5

I've got a couple of 1/8" thinlights and already have a neo- so I think I might find a couple of 3/8 thinlights and give it a go

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

I recently combined regular Ridgerest and Neoair with a 15*F Marmot Helium and was comfortable down to 6*F (with wool baselayers, MB Alpine light parka, Goosefeet booties, insulated pants, Patagonia R1 pullover and balaclava).

Using the Ridgerest on top of the Neoair seemed warmer for me. It seemed that at temperatures below 15*F heat escapes out the sides of the Neoair and cools the pad too much. Having the Ridgerest with it's R of 2.6 on top seemed to help. I probably would have gotten a Ridgerest Solar if the local gear shop had them.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Ryam

Was it as comfortbale with the Ridge rest on top.

Cheers,

Stephen

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I can't claim to have done extensive "both ways" testing, but my feeling too is that the pad on top is warmer, for just the reasons previously cited.

I used a setup similar to Ryan's on the AT early this year, when temps got down at least some days into the teens. I had the (size regular) neo-sandwhich, for me a 1/8" thinlight below and a 1/4" thinlight above, and from *brief* testing I felt warmer with the thicker ccf pad above (even though it is arguably more comfortable with the neo on top). I was prepared to stack both pads on top if it ever got cold enough to warrant that, but I don't think there was a night when I actually did so.

Clothing, bag etc: 20F WM bag, Montbell alpinelight parka, feathered friends down booties, cap 1 longjohns.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Hi Stephen,

I am half side sleeper and half back sleeper. In warmer weather I would be more comfortable with the Neoair on top. In colder weather like what I experimented with, having the Ridgerest on top is warmer and therefore more comfortable.

I would say that if the Neoair is deflated slightly that the Ridgerest can flex some with the air pad below and be more comfortable.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

Cheers all the advice. :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools