Topic

WM flight vest/jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WM flight vest/jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Locale: Ozarks

I was going to pick up either the flight vest or jacket from moosejaw on Monday with the 5x reward points. They also have the flash jacket (hooded), but I already have a MB ul down. What do the experts think?

Robert C
    BPL Member

@beenay25

Locale: Midwest

Both are good, but it depends on your use. I think the Flight jacket is most ideal for summer or early fall evenings in the mountains, or other times where you wouldn't be prepared for winter, but need something to cut the chill on a cloudy/windy day. The Flight vest is great for spring or fall in the Midwest to use in the early morning, or to lay over your body inside your sleeping bag at night. fyi- I have owned both and ended up selling them because I prefer a synthetic jacket for summer and fall when it might rain, they weren't all that warm for their weight (which was several ounces over WM's specs for both) and I wasn't too satisfied with the lower back coverage of either.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

I was wondering about that. I was looking at the cocoon synthetic stuff, so maybe I'll fond something else at moosejaw.

Robert C
    BPL Member

@beenay25

Locale: Midwest

What I did was find some 1.1 ripstop from Walmart, get some 5oz/sq yd Climashield XP from thru-hiker.com and made my own. You're not going to like me saying this, but I didn't find a single synthetic "pre-manufactured" jacket that I liked. It's all over-priced, most of what's out there is over-weight, and except for the BPL Cocoon stuff, most of the synthetic jackets out there use the thinnest Primaloft known to man. You can save a whole lot of money by making it yourself, even if you have to buy a new sewing machine. Even if you bought one of Thru-hiker's kits instead of hunting for 1.1 ripstop at Walmart, and then got a cheap $70 sewing machine, you'd only end up spending about $150 max. If you already have access to a sewing machine, the cost goes way down. Sorry, I'm sure the BPL jacket is great and I'm sure they know what they're doing with the price, but $230-240 is highway robbery compared to doing it yourself. I probably spent $40 total on mine.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

landon …

i currently use a MB ex light with either a 60 g/m, 133 g/m, 170g/m outer syn jacket depending on the temps … i find that using both together allows for better temp and moisture control than a single jacket, or 2 down jackets … there is of course a weight penalty

a few notes
    – for synth jackets buy whats on sale
    – that said get primaloft one if you can … its warmer
    – size the jacket to fit over yr MB UL
    – 100g/m prima one will see you through the shoulder seasons alone and mild winter with yr MB UL

if youre going to hike in the jacket wear yr synth one, it can get damp and sweaty … and youll just laugh like santa … down stays in the pack except for cold stops and camp in which case it goes under the synth

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I have both of these and am very happy with them. I am no expert, but I find the jacket extremely warm and packs down very well.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Eric, any suggestions as to which ones? cocoon, nano puff, etc.?

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Thanks, Mark. I have a WM megalite and love it. Thanks for the input!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

landon … micropuff if you want a single all round synth garment … or the EB FA igniter … you should be able to find either for around $150 on sale if you wait/shop around

EB has the advantage of crazy sales at certain times

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Depends. The Flight jacket is ridiculously warm for the weight; for comparison, it's a hair lighter than a Patagonia Down Sweater, but probably has more than double the loft. If you want something warm for shoulder season or moderate winter camping, a great option.

The Flight vest easily takes me through 3-seasons & is a great layering piece in winter. I like vests b/c you can keep the core warm but get some automatic venting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools