Topic

Simple DIY Rain Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Simple DIY Rain Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robert Coleman

@jbo_c

I'm looking for a simple DIY wind/rain jacket I can make myself. I've done lots of sewing(just finished a down quilt), but never used a pattern – always just worked out of my head.

How simple are the patterns from OWF and Quest? Other thoughts? I looked at regular patterns at the fabric store, but none seemed very simple at all.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks.

Jbo

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Well, last winter I made a couple of jackets–a windshirt and a gore-tex shell, and made them both as simple as I could to save weight. No hand pockets, pullover style with a zip at the neck, and the gore-tex jacket has a hood. I had never made anything that complex before, but I didn't have a pattern either.

I just took clothing I already liked and copied it–laid out a shirt which fit me well and traced a pattern on some cotton fabric (adding seam allowances) for the basic lines, added what I wanted, and then put that together as a mock-up. Both jackets worked out pretty well–very functional. I found the most difficult part was getting the right angle for the underarm to get the armpit to go together correctly. Ended up having to add a little patch of fabric on the gore-tex jacket, so now I guess I have gusseted underarms or something!

All in all, I think you're actually better off with a pattern if you can find one which suits you, but it is possible to make your own if you are so inclined.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I found some patterns by Green Pepper that were useful. One was a hooded rain jacket, so I made one out of sil-nylon and another out of some Pertex that I had laying about.

–B.G.–

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Roger Caffin did an article on making a simple rain poncho, which is actually more of a jacket than a poncho (actually it's a short cagoule). It has a pattern you can easily adapt.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools