Topic

Snow Camping in the Sierra

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Snow Camping in the Sierra

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

That would not surprise me if bears are found close to Truckee in the winter, especially at the Truckee dump. They go toward town because they can't afford the price of a lift ticket at the ski areas.

In Yosemite, even in the snow country, all of the trash dumpsters are bearproof, but that may be a result of some overzealous fed or overabundance of federal stimulus funds.

–B.G.–

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

All I know is my wife and I had 2 very different close up black bear counters – contrast the Yosemite encounter with the Northeast one:

Northeast: White Mountains, NH, mid-September, 5 min from AMC Greenleaf Hut on our way down from Mt Lafayette after dark, ran into mother black bear with cubs upwind of us. Not good. Roared at us, threat charged us and scared the daylights out of us. Ran straight back up Mt. Lafayette and found a 5 ft deep hole in the ground big enough for both of us in the middle of thick krummholz. Spent about 2 hours there as storm coming in.

Yosemite Nov 1 near trail head for the Mist Trail (Nevada and Vernal Falls) – on way back to trailhead bus stop ran into very worried looking British newlyweds traveling down West Coast from Canada holding a can of bear spray and asking if my wife and I were walking back to the trail head. We said yes and they asked if they could walk with us before telling us there was a mother black bear and 2 cubs blocking the trail. Well, turns out this bear was so habituated she was 25 ft up in a tree shaking acorns down for the cubs to eat only 10 ft from the trail. So habituated a crowd of Asian tourists gathered around the cubs and were getting way too close – still the mother didn't care. We gently warned the tourists away from them, and the last few who still didn't get the message beat a quick retreat when the mother came down the tree. We were amazed at how used to humans these bears were.

Yosemite bears are really something.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Yosemite bears are really something."

Yes, they have learned that it is a lot easier to eat acorns than it is to chase down a crowd of Asian tourists.

I can't think of how many Yosemite black bears I have seen over the years. Every one, except one, turned tail and ran away. They are awfully crafty, though. Basically, they are sneak thieves, and they don't want to get into a direct confrontation with a human unless it is really necessary.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Depending on the weather, conditions or mood I have planned either:
    1) A 40-45 mile loop through emigrant starting at Aspen Meadows and looping around Emigrant Lake. I have two loops loaded into the GPS. Weather and day 1 mileage will dictate whether I take the 40 or 45 mile option.
    2) If I bail on the snow I will likely head down to Big Sur again and find a long loop to do.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Jack,

Its about 2hrs from Fresno or Modesto. I dont know what my plans are yet. I need to get approval from the Mrs. before I am solidly committed. I am afraid I may have been volunteered to go to a xmass party.

David

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Thanks David. Yeah I did a search on Google maps, and from my house it's about 3 1/2 hours to Badger Pass. I may go up Fri. and spend the night about half way some where to get an early start for Sat.,if this is where we plan on going. I think this would be an outstanding hike for the veiws, and short hiking distance, after I did a Google Earth search the views look breath taking! especially in the snow.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

dewey

I have done day many day trips there but never an overnight. The view does not get old. I am looking forward to not having to head back to the car at the end of the day and having some extra time to take it all in.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

bumping this trip. David Lutz??

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Hello Kat – We're going to stick with the Pinecrest area, although not Aspen Meadow. A backcountry patroller recommended a couple of spots in the area.

It will be a short hike. I'm going to try out my new second-hand skis and my new homemade pulk, so I want to see how that goes before I commit to a longer trip.

And my buddy has never been out in the snow or on snowshoes, etc., so we want to keep it simple.

You're of course welcome to join us and ride up together.

I am definitely up for a trip to Dewey Point later this season.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

David,
    cross country skis? Could i borrow a pair of your snowshoes again? When will you be taking off from the Bay Area? Are there trees at your destination?
    Thanks K

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Yes.

Yes.

Sat morning, not too early.

We'll find some for you.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm going to have to pass this time David, I have a Magic Mountain ticket I have to use before the end of this month and the rest of the people that bought tickets want to go on the 11th. I am going to try and put together another snow trip up to Dewey Point for the weekend of Jan. 1st I will post it in a new thread, let me know if you would like to go, that goes for any one else also. Thanks Jack

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools