Topic

New Danger for Hikers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Neal

@michaelneal

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC
    Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

“Leave the animals in peace and do not touch them. Never caress a calf,”

wow…

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

Reminds me of the night when a herd of cattle came wandering into camp after I had gone to bed. I moved my bed to under a picnic table. I had no idea if Bessie had the sense not to step on sleeping campers.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Reminds me of the nite a herd of buffalo roamed through my campsite at the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. It was starlight-dark and the buffalo stepped delicately over tent lines and avoided stepping on any gear. Have you ever HEARD a buffalo when they are just talking back and forth? They growl like something hungry and carnivorous.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hmmm– maybe they have some low frequency stuff like elephants. Nice to know they can be graceful– they are way too big to argue with!

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I wouldn’t be surprised if they could sound and hear subsonics. They sound like maga-beasts. They do tend to be careful around people. I wouldn’t want to startle one of mess with a calf, though. When one panics, they all panic.

RE: the picture. As an old dairy country boy, I can tell you that Jersey cows have the reputation of being the most dangerous of milk cows. Stomp farmers into peanut butter with alarming regularity.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sounds like a good excuse for a BBQ, IMHO :) Pass the potato salad, please….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools