Topic

recommendation on light goggles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) recommendation on light goggles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

had some driving snow today that almost had me crying like a little girl :)

some light/low bulk goggles to throw in the pack would be most welcome

tia

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

I too am looking for a good pair of lightweight goggles… the Uvex Pocket Goggles look promising: anyone have experience with them (especially how well they reduce fogging)?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Swim goggles! Actually, if fogging wasn't a problem, I have to wonder how well they might work.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I haven't found anything I really love. I do two things. When I need to keep things out of my eyes (but don't need protection for the skin), I add some DIY sides onto my prescription glasses to turn them into classic glacier glasses. Catcrap and some natural ventilation keeps them from fogging up. When I need more I end up with classic ski goggle. On trips I might need goggle I wear them full time. Either over my eyes, or reverse around my head. I don't really notice them.

–Mark

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

When weight is an issue, i carry my sky diving goggles. Only 20g, and they fold up into a pocket.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ those look interesting :)

the Uvex ones look like they might do the ticket- here's one really positive review

http://www.larsonweb.com/backcountryeyewear/id2.html

I found these Wiley SG1- little more than what I want to spend on goggles though

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=TACTICAL&SeriesCode=175&ProductLine=200,SG1&ItemCode=71

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

after seeing the Uvex pockets on ebay for $18 and then looking at the Uvex site where they retail for $90 I started comparing around.

almost everyone that sells them, sells them as ski goggles and they are in the $75-ish range

found out Uvex also makes a motorsports line (including a Pocket)- I think that's what's on ebay. however after looking closely at pictures of both the ski and motorsports model- they appear to be identical- all the venting is identical, as is the shape of the lenses and straps- the ebay ones only come w/ a clear set of lenses, the ski ones come w/ two sets of lenses

anywho I ordered two pair off of ebay and figured for that price I'd give them a go, got two pair so my wife can try them x-country skiing

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Let us know how they perform and what their actual weight is, if you would please.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

My goggles – can't recall what make/model, but they are a basic ski goggle, probably 30 bucks or so – are 3.5 ounces in a fleece bag I pack them in. So it's going to be easy to find something in that range, and probably pretty hard to find anything much lighter that will ventilate well (critical). used to be you could get goggles that were separate eyepieces, sort of, connected by a bit of skinny webbing and with an elastic band around the head, that must have been pretty light, but I haven't seen them in years.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

"used to be you could get goggles that were separate eyepieces, sort of, connected by a bit of skinny webbing and with an elastic band around the head, that must have been pretty light, but I haven't seen them in years."

the Uvex Pocket goggles are roughly what you describe (separate eye pieces)- we'll see on ventilation :)

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

My SG1s (Ranger goggles) are super light and work really well as snow goggles. Plus they have lenses that are easy to change out for bright days.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

they did look good, I was hoping not to spend that much- like many things though, I often end up spending that much (and sometime more) when it's all said and done :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the Uvex's showed up, nice looking google- it folds up as advertised (small hinge in the nose bridge)- weight is acceptable- 2.4 oz (could probably lose at least .5 oz as the strap is pretty long- for me anyways)

they are the motorsport version, so not sure how they will behave in the cold (fogging), the venting looks the same as near as I can tell from the pics of the skiing ones- I'll post up once I give them a go

for $17 vs $80 worth a shot :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools