Topic

Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight <br>Part 1, Introduction

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Make Your Own Gear: Five Yards to SuperUltraLight <br>Part 1, Introduction

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Cat Jasins
    BPL Member

@catjasins

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bravo!

Excellent and insightful article for us do it yourselfer’s

David Fry
    BPL Member

@davidfry

When will the other articles come out? I can’t wait. By the way I like the compression system on the pack. Nice design.

Miguel Reznicek

@migs

Great article and I admire your organization!

Can you add to it some internet suppliers of the spinnaker fabric that you use?

Thanks amigo! -Migs

Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

any idea when part 2 will be released?

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

This is where I am headed, making my own gear or using commercially available gear to suit my particular needs. I already asked my partner to teach me how to use her sewing machine … my idea is to use a GG Whisper and a UL 45 REI pack harness to create a true UL pack out of both. With the Whisper as a removable bag portion and something like the pack in this article, using the GG pack as the base for the bag part. I learn so much here it is awesome. And gets rid of the addiction I have to buying whatever looks right or good, because of lack of time to develop the kinds of intstructions, templates, and concepts already done by people here.

Thierry Bismuth
    Spectator

@thierrybismuth

What kind (references) of Gutterman thread is necessary for sewing the tarp ?

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

Nice! loved it, i am inspired. Been making alot of silnylon gear, and may have to step up to this next winter.
    Dana

Connie Dodson
    BPL Member

@conniedodson

Locale: Montana

1. I wish you had the actual "lines" in a pattern in a file for us to download and use.

2. The use of material is highly interesting. What CAD program is that? It allows you to drag-and-drop the shapes?

These are the two reasons I am reluctant to spend for expensive materials: not having a great pattern and waste of the expensive materials.

I feel I can work on skills, if necessary.

The article here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog-laminating-silicone-impregnated-fabrics?m=004776-_3HjXS36Y6MnOohH-JZg is very helpful in that regard.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools