Topic

Backpacker Mag includes MLD, Jacks ‘R Better

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacker Mag includes MLD, Jacks ‘R Better

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Page 33 of the new Backpacker Mag has a section on the MLD Exodus pack and the Jacks 'R Better High Sierra Sniveller.

Go little guys!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I was shocked.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the war against yuppiness begins !!!

i think some people are starting to realize that those $$$$$ they pay for overweight packs, 650 down bags, overheating membrane softshells, etc … are going down the toilet

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Joe,
    Even Ron Bell was surprised for his pack to show up there!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Really? They actually threw in a blurb on the JRB High Sierra Sniveler? Wearable down quilts are about as fringe as it gets. What did they have to say?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

We better buy their products now while they're still light! ;)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

There was a half page about "The Ultralighter." A guy named Dan Larson gave mini-reviews on those two products plus the GoLite Poncho Tarp.

They were favorable comments for each piece of gear.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Months ago i was at an airport, and picked up an issue of Men's Journal so that I could have something to read on the plane. It's one of my fav mags, but I dont have a subscription, and I only seem to be able to find it at airports. Anyhow I was thiumbing through the pages and something caught my eye…I entered a state of confusion. I recognized the item on the page, but I couldn't understand why I was looking at it in that particular moment, or in that particular context. The thing that stared back at me was a ULA Catalyst, filling up an entire 1 page spread. It didn't make sense to me because my brain was trained to think that the only times it would see ULA gear is when I'm surfing on my mac book, not when I thumb through physical tangible media. Getting over the confusion, I glance above the ULA catalyst, to a caption that described Ultra light backpacking. The next 2 following pages went on to describe gear necessary to a sub 10 lb list. I was blown away, albeit it wasn't the most complete list, but still! Better than anything I had seen in backpacker in the past 4 years that I've had a subscription for.

It's always interesting to see lightweight gear in a mainstream mag. I've seen tarptent, JRB, WM, ULA, and i guess MLD now, in mainstream mags. Not bad…pretty exciting actually. This way I get hassled less on the trail when people ask me who makes that funny piece of gear I own.

For those interested, the particular Men's Journal issue had Robert Downey Jr on the cover (yeah it's an old one, like when Iron Man 2 was hitting theaters). This magazine has it all, and better gear reviews that anything I usually see in backpacker. They don't always cover backpacking, when when they do…its awesome

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Straying a bit, but since Konrad brought it up… :)

Men's Journal - ULA Catalyst - May 2010, page 125

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools