Topic

WetLegs Poncho Man

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique WetLegs Poncho Man

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Carey Parks

@cjp129earthlink-net

Hi all, I’ve just graduated to a poncho tarp for rain protection as it also makes a handy tarp for the hammock. I also really like the ventilation here is the humid south. (FL – about to get a whole lot more humid too.)

I’ve built a poncho from plans of Roy Robbinson (I’m sure you’ve seen them) and made the extension not so much to cover the pack as to cover my face while sleeping in the hammock.

When using the poncho as a ponch – to take the dogs out during the evening rains here (any excuse to play with BP gear right?) I find that

A) the weight of the extra material in the back pulls the poncho rearward and the hood bottom is against my neck and the bill lets rain onto my face. I can pull it forward and all is well.

B) the rear of the tarp transfers water to my legs, and this water seems to creep higher and higher as it transfers back and forth between legs and poncho. Is it just me or is this something that others have dealt with?

Neither one is a big problem for small periods of time, but I’m extending the time to a full day of hiking and worry that the water might creep up to my shorts etc.

Thoughts?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I too use a poncho but I’ve not noticed the problem with the water transfer to the legs while backpacking and I think that’s the key … “while backpacking.” With a backpack on, the rear of the poncho is held away from your legs, assuming that you walk the dog without a backpack ;-) I think that problem will go away on the trail.

By the way, I’m in South Florida and you are right, thanks to Ernesto, it is going to get very humid!

Carey Parks

@cjp129earthlink-net

Michael, where in So FL are you? I’m Cape Coral. Thinking of some days on the Florida Trail this winter.

Carey

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools