Topic

Weather in the Sierras

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Sierras.
    Rockies.
    Cascades.
    Whites.

–B.G.–

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

I grew up in the valley (mostly Sacramento/Stockton/Lodi), but spent a lot of time backpacking the Sierra Nevada range from Truckee/Tahoe down to Kings Canyon. Snowfall was rare in the summer months, but it did happen. More importantly, there was often still snow on the ground above 9,000 feet well into June, which means it stayed colder than some would expect. Quite often we'd start off in t-shirts and shorts, but have to swap to pants half way up a mountain (this was before cool things like convertible pants). As a general rule, if you packed for 20 degrees, you were fine.

Dave T

@davet

i didn't realize that White, Cascade, and Rocky all came from Spanish.

shoot, i need to get out more.

i like this new approach. i think i'll run out and vote to change the name of Los Baños to Los Banos to remove that unappealing ethnic vibe. oh wait, they already did.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

"i" should be "I".

Dave T

@davet

L should be P.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

sierra nevada != Sierra Nevada.

I take issue with people that use the ATM machine. I don't know why, but I expand that to automated teller machine machine. Life goes on despite my taking issue with the common usage of initialisms in modern English.

I can only imagine the frustration of reading expressions like 'the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range', and people saying they are 'heading to the Sierras'. Especially if you hear them saying they are heading to the sierras, and you go to the sierra nevada.

If I see 'Mountain Range' tacked on to the 'Sierra Nevada', I feel like I can be reasonably sure that Sierra is not being used to mean mountain range in the expression, and Nevada is not being used to mean snowy. In fact, the phrase being surrounded by English words is a major hint that perhaps Spanish is not being spoken, written, or used in anyway. It is just a name.

In modern English in America, people just use the first work of the mountain range, and pluralize it. Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Cascades, Trinities, Whites… even Sierras. Crazy times we live in.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Pretty sure they've had many other names before "Sierra"/"Sierras"/"The SN" (Like the 'O.C' or the 'W.B.'?)

Irregardless, the range east of the city of Frisco and west of the Mississississippi is one of the most beautiful places ever made, next to the Grand Canyon (which we all know is the largest man-made attraction in the United States).

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

"Cascade" is from the French language. "Rocky" is a variant of "Rock," which has an unclear derivation–possibly from Middle French via Midievel Latin and Vulgar Latin, but another possible origin is Celtic. "White" is interestingly old and seems to be from Proto-Germanic, the origin of all Germanic languages, including English.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Rocky" is a variant of "Rock," which has an unclear derivation–possibly from Middle French via Midievel Latin and Vulgar Latin"

As in roche?

BTW, can anybody around here tell me exactly how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? From the general tenor of the posts to this thread, I figure I've got as good a chance here as I've ever had to finally get an answer to an existential question that's been eating away at my insides ever since my college days. I don't want to die without knowing the answer; With my spotty record, I may need it to get past St. Peter.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

dictionary of etymology says for "rock": O.E. rocc (in stanrocc "stone rock or obelisk"), also from O.N.Fr. roque, from M.L. rocca (767), from V.L. *rocca, of uncertain origin, sometimes said to be from Celtic (cf. Bret. roch).

i think since angels are not corporeal, as many as want to can dance there, assuming they can dance (i'm not sure if dancing is in their programming)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"i think since angels are not corporeal,"

All those folks, some 60% of Americans according to one report, who believe in them might beg to disagree. I'm not overly confident St Peter would buy your answer, Cary, which could leave me in deep doo doo. Anybody else want to hazard a guess?

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

needn't be corporeal to exist per the dogma, only to be able to appear as though they are

Anonymous
    Inactive

"needn't be corporeal to exist per the dogma, only to be able to appear as though they are"

I suspect the 60% I'm talking about aren't quite that discerning. Nor were the theologians that endlessly debated the point centuries ago, for that matter. In any case, the only thing that matters to me is what St Peter thinks. Got any inside info for me, Cary? ;)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Sierra….Sierra's who friggen cares. We're all talking about the same mtn. range

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

If an infinite number of angels can dance on the head of a pin, then they must be pretty lightweight, right?

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If an infinite number of angels can dance on the head of a pin, then they must be pretty lightweight, right?"

Not if they cheat by using their wings.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I don't want to die without knowing the answer; With my spotty record, I may need it to get past St. Peter"

I think it's pertinent to know what kind of pin, has a significant effect on the answer. A bobby pin or a push pin? Perhaps a lapel pin, or a bowling pin?

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

i've never been to Peter St. and doubt i ever will walk there

Bob: i suspect they are infinitely light

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Bob: i suspect they are infinitely light"

Then we better get new digital scales with divine inspiration.

–B.G.–

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Well, to post on the original subject matter….

I have lived in California all my life and have hiked in the Sierra(s) from time-to-time, but not tons and tons. I hiked the PCT, I did Sierra backpacks as a kid and later as an adult, but not a lot of Sierra hiking.

In all that, I've never seen it snow in the Sierra. I saw it groppel (not sure how to spell it, but it looks like styrofoam is falling.) That's the closest.

I've seen the predictable afternoon thunderstorms.

Mostly the weather has always been fantastic. My 2009 PCT hike did see some nasty weather, but I just stayed low until it got better. Otherwise, it has always been hot during the day and cool at night, whether snow was on the ground or not. I've seen bugs in June and bug-free Junes. I don't think I've ever seen a bug-free July. I've seen the raging creeks of June and the easy creeks of August. I haven't been to the Sierra in October or September. I'd like to see it someday.

Aside from the Sierra, there's some awesome hiking in Northern California. As a PCT hiker, I preferred northern California to the Sierra. I loved the trees and the flowery meadows. Everything seemed more moist than the Sierra. I am in love with the beauty of the Trinities and the Marble Mountains. If I had to go back and hike only a part of the PCT I would hike the Northern California section.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I think it's pertinent to know what kind of pin, has a significant effect on the answer. A bobby pin or a push pin? Perhaps a lapel pin, or a bowling pin?"

I think the bowling pin's a game changer, Doug. Definitely distorts the average.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools