Topic

Frontenac Park – Oct 31st – Nov 1st, 2010 – Ontario, Canada

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Frontenac Park – Oct 31st – Nov 1st, 2010 – Ontario, Canada

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Frontenac Provincial Park
    October 31st – November 1st, 2010
    36 kms (22 miles)

This was a quick 2 day/1 night trip at the end of October in Frontenac Provincial Park here in Ontario, Canada. We covered about 36 km (22 miles) over the two days. My base weight was right at 10 pounds for this trip.

It snowed off an on for a good part of the Sunday, however with temperatures hovering right at freezing we had no accumulation. Monday was absolutely beautiful with the skies clearing through the day.

I was playing with some new kit on this trip and put the BPL UL240 Quilt to use. I was definitely pleased with its performance on this trip. I will post a quick mini review with my impressions of the quilt in a separate post.

IMG_0540

At the trail head

IMG_0412

This is one of the first lakes we came across.

IMG_0421

The landscape was opening up.

IMG_0426

Rock is definitely becoming the prominent feature in the south eastern part of the park. Small beaver lodge in the bottom center of the photo.

IMG_0430

Heading that way.

IMG_0434

My buddy Earl up ahead, carrying a more traditional weight.

IMG_0436

IMG_0437

IMG_0443

A few small cairns lead the way through some of the less obvious sections.

IMG_0449

IMG_0457

Snow.

IMG_0460

IMG_0461

A damp lunch time view.

IMG_0464

"Are you sure this is the trail?"

IMG_0465

IMG_0467

Looking down the lake.

IMG_0475

Beautiful view out over the park.

IMG_0483

Definitely appreciated the night time fire with temps below falling below freezing.

IMG_0493

Above our campsite the following morning looking out over the lake.

IMG_0491

Looking back toward the campsite.

IMG_0502

The weather steadily improved through the day.

IMG_0498

This part of the park was logged and mined in the late 1800's and early part of the 1900's. Many of the
    trails in this section of the park are based on the old logging and mining roads. This old girl didn't make it back out.

IMG_0518

Heading off trail we came across this sign.

IMG_0505

Entrance to an old Mica mine. Closed down sometime in the early 1900's.

IMG_0512

Old boiler above the mine. Would have been used to drive the winches to lift equipment and rock in and out of the mine.

IMG_0521

IMG_0523

Mica flakes near the entrance.

IMG_0525

IMG_0530

IMG_0532

One of the last bits of color in the park this time of year.

IMG_0536

Watching us closely as we leave the park.

Another great trip and already trying to figure out what the next one will be.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Phillip,

Thanks for sharing your part of the country with us.

Always nice to see what other countries have to offer.

Great job and love the variety of photos with your narration.

-Tony

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Thanks Tony. I appreciate the comments. It was my first time at this particular park. Great little spot.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Definitely looks chilly–Shoulder Season
    Great pictures- eey!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Familiar place and a familiar face! Looks like a great trip, thank you for sharing! That park is alot of fun. Tons of trails all over the place. I thought at first I saw the waterfall on the Slide Lake Loop but I haven't seen the mine remnants before. What route did you end up taking?

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Steven,

We basically did the loop around the outside of the park, however we cut across the bottom of the Tetsmine lake loop up at the top. The old mine and boiler is on the trail between site 12 and 8 but it is definitely not obvious as you walk along. We had to do some off trail to find it. It's on the north side of the trail on the other side of a small ridge. There are a bunch of old mines marked on the map throughout the park…would be interesting to try and find them all during a trip or two.

I really enjoyed the park and the trail…beautiful area. The one thing I was disapointed in was that the sites are on top of each other at the designated spots. Whole darn lake and they put them all together. This time of year it didn't matter as we had the park to ourselves…but would definitely be a negative when the park is busier.

Jay,

Definitely took me a bit longer than normal to talk myself into getting up in the night for a quick nature break. I was relunctant to get out from under the quilt. We easily had enough wood for a warm up the next morning which was great start to the day.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

The one thing I was disappointed in was that the sites are on top of each other at the designated spots. Whole darn lake and they put them all together.

I hear ya. I have only been to the park 3 or 4 times and always in the off season so i have never seen anyone else camping while I am there, but it is weird how they cluster them up like that. The ones at the north end that I have stayed at are literally almost one area with multiple tent pads. I guess it isn't a real issue, but if you were in the height of the busy season you wouldn't find any solitude.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Nice TR. Did you see many people? Thanks for sharing!

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Steven,

Agreed…in my view off season is the only time to visit the park just because of the way they cluster the sites.

Tom,

We saw one pair of hikers coming off the trail on the first morning and then did not see another soul the rest of the trip. When we checked in that first morning we were the only ones scheduled to be in the park overnight at that point. It was perfect. We went in Sunday morning and came out on the Monday.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools