Topic

Fit of Ibex Indie Hoody for men and women?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fit of Ibex Indie Hoody for men and women?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Some have written it's a little oversize. Can anyone comment on the fit for use as a baselayer and as a midlayer over a very thin merino T?

I typically wear a men's Large, have a 42 in. chest and weigh 175 lbs. For use as an efficient base and midlayer, Large or Medium?

For a woman who typically wears a size 6-8, Medium, 5 ft 6 in. 130 lbs – Medium or Small?

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

at 5'9", 165lbs i usualy buy L in european brands and M when i buy in the US ( like BPL products )
    I asked my sister to bring me back some Ibex shirts to try them ( couldnt find them in France and i wanted to try ) when she visited NY.
    I found the M to be a slimmer fit than what i am used with US brands and i had to sell it, it was too tight for me.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I'm 5'6" 125 lb [male] and for me the [men's] small is nice and snug which is precisely what I wanted. This is a fantastic garment and keeps me warm down to 45F and it is tolerable at 40F if I am exerting myself. I plan to add a windshirt to get me down to freezing without tacking on a ton of weight.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that while their website states the weight is 10.1 oz mine tips the scales at 8.25 oz! Awesome bonus!

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I don't think they run as big as people have said. I'm 5'8, 150 lb, chest 40 and initially tried a size small. It was a bit too snug and I ended up returning it. The medium fits well. It conforms to my chest and arms, and is slightly looser over the abdomen. I would not have thought to put another layer underneath (it fits like a baselayer)but I suppose you might be able to squeeze something under it. I love mine. If you buy one, I would size it normally.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'm 5'8 and 140-145. Mine is a small and fits like I feel a base layer should. It's not as tight as a medium Ibex Woolie I have but it's not baggy either.

My girlfriend is 5'7 and around 145 and has a medium. If anything, the torso is a bit short on her.

Mitchell Murphy

@texico

Locale: North Georgia

I just ordered one after trying it on. I'm 5'9" 140lbs and the medium is what I decided fit best for me. I don't like compression/fitted layers and the medium fit just loose enough. The Indie definitely runs a little small compared to all the regular medium tops I have.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I'm 5'6", 165#, 42", & find the medium Indie Hoody a good baselayer w/a little bit of room. It's a bit more snug than I'd feel comfortable wearing around town, but comfortable for active use. I have a large that's roomier than many would wear as a baselayer, but still seems pretty reasonable for me & gives me some extra room.

Ibex sizing is interesting; each of their pieces is cut differently for how they think that layer should fit… much more so individual fits than other companies I've tried. The Woolies zip t is a form-fitting snug fit–but stretchy & comfortable–for me in a large (a medium almost works, but there's not quite enough room under the arm & get seam rub). The Arlberg vest in a large, Shak FZ in a medium…

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thank you very helpful. Sounds like the fit may be between your size and a size down, making it a pretty individual matter. We already have their Woolies and Pacifica (like Woolies but with no high neck for warmer use) L/S tops, S/S zip t's, a heavier winter L/S that's heavier than the Indie and a sweater. The fit on those is pretty consistent and true to our usual size, but I've never tried the Shak. Probably will order regular size and one size down to be sure, and report on what we found.

If the weight was a little over 8 oz on a medium, than I'm guessing the weight of the wool is just between Woolies and the heavier winter L/S top we have which I think weighs in around 12 ounces, which would give it a very wide comfort range, and perhaps often replace our current cool-cold base combo of a Patagonia R1 Hoody over an Ibex zip neck T (which works very well for us).

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Just to clarify, I normally wear a medium in everything, but found several Ibex items that fit better in a large… so your size or up one, I'd guess…

Mitchell Murphy

@texico

Locale: North Georgia

My Indie Hoody (medium) just arrived earlier today and I'm currently wearing it. Now that I actually have it in my hands I believe that the fit is small. Like I said I'm 5'9" 140lbs and I would just barely be able to comfortably fit a silk-weight layer underneath it. I bought it for use as a winter base-layer, though, so I don't plan on ever layering something underneath it.

BTW, I just weighed it and my medium came to 9oz.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thanks Mitchell so for use as a baselayer you would order your regular size?

That's our intended use as well, and perhaps sometimes as a light midlayer over the thinnest Ibex zip T shirt.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools