Topic

Looking for Thanksgiving weekend hiker’s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for Thanksgiving weekend hiker’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I'm planning a hike into Jenny Lakes, located in Kings Canyon National Park the weekend after Thanksgiving. I would like to be on the trail head early Fri. the 26th hike in that Fri. spend the night, the next day Sat, Sat. night and hike out Sun. I would even consider hiking from Jenny Lakes to Weaver lake, but I think that requires off trail hiking and I don't have enough experience to do this by my self. Then from Weaver Lake back to the trail head. Every one is welcome to come. Post here or email me at [email protected]

We may encounter snow and cold temps, the elevation at the lake is around 9,000 ft. If I don't get any takers I may have to stay home and watch foot ball, blahh!!! The wife doesn't like me hiking solo this late in fall

So who want's to go "come on" you know you want to.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Jack, do you live near Kings Canyon or are you driving in?
    Like do you live in Visalia or?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I live in Bakersfield, but I will be in Tulare that weekend to visit family on Thanksgiving. Need a ride?

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Im not sure where anything is down there I was just checkin out the Kings Canyon np website. I actually live in Washington but I really want to do a trip that weekend and was looking at the greyhound schedule and they get as close as Visalia, but im not really sure where that is compared to where you want to go.

how far is the hike?
    so you want to hike into jennys lake, camp 2 nights and then come back out or go backcountry to weaver for the 2nd night?
    how early did you want to go on friday, what time would you come out on sunday?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I had seen your origanal post but couldn't make it up your way, so I didn't respond, how funny. Visalia is where I go through to get Kings Canyon it is about a 2 hr drive to the trail head from Visalia. I'm game for what ever time you want to start on Fri. If you want to go cross country thats fine too, I've never done much of it. I know people have done Jenny Lakes to Weaver but I'm not sure how difficult of off trail it is, and how much time we need to allow for it. I have a GPS, that's no problem, but I don't like to rely on just that, and my maps skills need a lot of work, so basically what ever you're game for. I can work around your schedule, we could even go up to Paradise valley if you want. The hike to Jenny Lakes is around 6-7 miles one way, I did this hike about 4 years ago, not to bad, there is a place on the trail called p**p out pass and if I remember right it's called that for a reason, but really it's not that bad. I'm going to keep an eye on the weather to see what we might run into, that might also determine if we can go cross country. I'm all good for hanging out at Jenny Lakes Fri. night, Sat., Sat, night and hiking out Sun., at this point I just need to get to the mountains and relax. I can pick you up in Visalia that's not a problem. I think my freind Kevin may be going also. Let me know what you would like to do. Thanks Jack

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Yeah that would be sweet if I could get a ride from Visalia, will you be going back through visalia on sunday?
    There is a greyhound bus that gets in at 845am on friday, probably would be on that one. Then there is one that leaves like 630 pm on sunday. My map skills are not crazy so if your game to go cross country im game but if you dont feel comfortabl it doesnt matter. What sort of weather do you think we will run into? What fees and costs are there to get into the park and stuff?

Im not 100% sure im coming but ill try to make definite plans in the next day and a half or so. It sounds like it would be an awesome trip though.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Yes, we have to go back through Visalia and those times are fine. There are park fees but I have a card that will get us in for free. If we do Jenny Lakes there are no permits required or bear canisters, but if we go to Paradise Valley we need to bring a bear canister. The weather can be snowing and cold, or it can be in the 60's. This weekend the're calling for snow. Temps during the day around high 40's lows at night could go down to 10*. I'm taking my 15* bag and down jacket, with med. weight base layer. Forcast for this week

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.68259972707361&lon=-118.76546859741211&site=hnx&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

If you go to NOAA and know where to look you can pin point your weather forcast, the link above is just that.

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Should i bring snowshoes or is the trail pretty clear? What sort of shelter are you taking? What sort of down jacket are you taking, im just curious to compare to the insulation i will have to bring.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I'm bringing my snow shoes just in case, if the snows to bad we can find a hike lower down the mountain. I will use my Tarp tent the Moment. The trail is pretty well traveled in the summer, shouldn't be a problem. My down sweater is a First Accent.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

If there is to much going on as far as weather, the hike will be changed to Redwood Canyon trail, it's a few miles before the turn off to Jenny Lakes and it is lower elevation around 6,000 ft

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Darn, wish I had the weekend off.

The EB First Ascent will keep you plenty warm. I was at 5000ft, low temp 28*F, hexamid solo, in a questionable 32* rectangular bag (not most thermally efficient), BA Insulated Aircore, 260g merino long johns, smartwool beanie, trail runners and was fine. Actually slept pretty good.

No wind though and I was expecting to be cold so I ate a lot of food and filled a Nalgene with some hot water.

Bring extra socks though. That was what cut my trip short. I have to dial in my footwear for these conditions. We weren't expecting snow.

The tent is green.

Have a great time. I'd love to check out Kings Canyon…or just to get out of the city.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools