Topic

Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Eric Fredricksen
    BPL Member

@efredricksen

Locale: Silicon Valley

Thanks for the explanation about the neoprene. I'm won over enough that I ordered the deluxe version but I'll probably mostly eschew it. (But maybe a little Thinlight CCF?) Looking forward to trying it out.

BTW my own can-ufactured alcohol-burning kettle is described here. I'd like to bring that project home to field-usable completion one day if my fabrication methods can be improved, and the burner design optimized, so that it could survive packing. Just about 2.3oz heavy.

(Don't sweat the misspelling. My name gets misspelled all the time, but usually it's my last name.:)

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

BTW when you ship them abroad please dont include the tip in the item value :p.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Tim & Eric: I feel like you two should talk. You know what would make the boiler "no fires" compliant? An optimized alcohol burner that could achieve better than 50% efficiency. :)

Fred- Absolutely, I had actually been thinking about this. I don't think the good vibes, heartfelt thanks, and any other intangibles you all receive from giving me a gratuity are subject to import taxes. So I'll just list the amount you were required to pay.

Eric Fredricksen
    BPL Member

@efredricksen

Locale: Silicon Valley

Kind of fun to have an Fred Eric and an Eric Fred(ricksen) on the same thread. :)

My kettle was 41% efficient in my kitchen. It's possible that enough tweaking could get it to 50%. Who knows? Iterating is difficult, and I don't have your attention span, it seems. :)

What's the thickness of your aluminum, Devin? I'll guess 2 or 3 times that of AL cans?

Also, is the fire bowl AL too? Doesn't it burn up?

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Could not resist! Just ordered one up, the fact that you are only 26 away from 100 also sped it up. Can't wait to brew a little cup while fishing!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Only 24 left now. I'm not sure if that counter is "live" but 2 were sold while I was browsing his videos.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Hmm. So maybe a little alchy stove could fit in the burner area? Hmm.

HJ

brendan delac

@brendan

what method of shipping would you use to go north of the border? usps would be preferrable since private couriers do their own brokerage and charge outrages fees, especially ups.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hey all!

I'm actually working on a presentation today (still in law school until December, after all) so I won't be too responsive until tomorrow, but I wanted to offer some updates.

On the fire bowl thickness: this is actually still in flux to some degree. In its thinnest possible iteration (what I've been using on my prototype), it's been fine through 100s of boils. The heating soft tempers the Al (so don't bang it against a rock to remove ashes), but the time it's expose to these temperatures is relatively short under normal use. Physically, you'll notice some softening between boils 0 and 1, but I have noticed no appreciable difference between boils 1 and 100. The kettle does not experience the same changes because of the heat sink effect of the water.

On availability: the numbers on the site are quasi-real-time. I update them when I see that I have a new order.

Shipping to Canada: Most likely USPS. Unless I see a reason to do otherwise, USPS is the way I'm going all around, with a 3d party providing shipping insurance where necessary.

I can see that many of you have been recommending these to friends and other little virtual communities on the web. Thanks so much! It's humbling to have such support.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Can you use a regular stove (canister) to boil up the water. How about alcohol stove?

Forbes Belk
    BPL Member

@forbesb-2

Locale: Bay Area

Only 12 left and that doesn't include the order I just placed. Better get a move on if you want one.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

>Can you use a regular stove (canister) to boil up the water. How about alcohol stove?

Yep – I've with a modified White Box alcohol stove and I'm sure the same could be done on a canister as long as the support progs are more than 4" from tip to tip. I've actually used it on a really regular stove (as in a range top). The challenge is for the flames to flow up the walls of the conical chimney rather than just straight up and out.

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Just placed my order. I can't wait to use it!

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Only 4 left to go!

I won't get one since a) wood fires are generally illegal in Southern California and b) I frequently hike above tree line when I go up further north to the Sierra, but dang they look cool.

Devin, I think it's really cool that you've been able to design, prototype, and now basically bring to market such a great addition to the stove world. My hat is off to you. Good luck and God speed.

HJ

Rob Bouchard
    Spectator

@mrzsasz

Over 100 just before I head out to lunch. Now the waiting really begins….

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Orders stop at midnight tonight so get 'em while you can!

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I jumped on this one early in the count! Other forums are talking this up also (i.e. HammockForums.net)

I'm really glad to see Devin's dream coming true. Few would have had the perseverance that he has demonstrated, which we will all benefit from now. Thanks Devin!

My current go-to stove system is a Caldera Cone alky stove with a Vargo 0.9L ti pot. I only do "freezer bag cooking." I figure that I will save about 2/3s of the weight and volume carried when I also factor in the fuel.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

just put two and two together and think i figured out where Devin probably got the original inspiration for his kettle design….

devo

COOK IT GOOD! Cant wait to get mine.

(sorry, couldnt resist, happy friday)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

My Bushbuddy Ultra may be up for sale once i test out Devins Kettle. :)

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Mike, Don't forget to sell your pot also! :)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Congratulations, Devin!

Good job.

HJ

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hey, thanks all!

There will be regular updates to the blog until these puppies are shipped. As I said there, the support from customers and people who just think it's cool has been humbling.

Thanks. :)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Hey, Devin,

It looks like the Backcountry Boiler web site is down as of 12/3/2010 17:35 (PST).

HJ

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Works for me. Maybe give it another try.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Yep, it's up. Must have been a temporary glitch.

HJ

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools