Topic

Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Montgomery Kettle (now the Backcountry Boiler)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

http://www.theboilerwerks.com/pre-order/

For 3-season use you can't get much lighter than this.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Thanks Steve!

I hope everyone on here who made a reservation or signed up for the mailing list has gotten a note about ordering there bad boys – I've been having some email problems.

And I have even made use out of it in the 4th season: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41308912@N04/4409707954/. :)

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Nice pages and all the best with the project, this really deserves to succeed. And that's an awesomely good intro price too, when you compare to a bushbuddy which weighs only a few oz less, and doesn't come with integral boiling pot, windsheild, insulator, etc etc.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I'm pretty hyped about this little kettle. Placed my order on friday night. Can't wait to get it.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I'll order one eventually. I got real excited at first because I was thinking this would be perfect for making my 2 week trip next month a little more pleasurable.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Good Job Devin!
    I look forward to trying mine.
    Funds sent.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Looks fantastic; funds sent, and I'm really looking forward to using the thing.

Cheers

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hey, thanks guys! It's so exciting to finally be to this point, and I can't wait to hear what you all think about it once it's in your hands.

Forbes Belk
    BPL Member

@forbesb-2

Locale: Bay Area

Definitely gonna have to order one of these puppies. Great work Devin, now if they just don't preorder out before my next paycheck comes in.

Rob Bouchard
    Spectator

@mrzsasz

See, this is why I stayed away from your thread. I just knew it would be trouble. Bought and paid last night. Too cool to pass up…..

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

All right, so I'm a bit "late to the party here" in that I haven't read all the posts that lead up to the Backcountry Boiler's being finally available, but: Is there a reason that the base is so small? It seems like the boiler would tip over very easily.

HJ

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I hope everyone on here who made a reservation or signed up for the mailing list has gotten a note about ordering there bad boys – I've been having some email problems.

I was wondering what happened to the kettle, since I never heard anything since the summer. This is the first I've become aware of there being any progress with the designs. I hope I don't lose my place in line and my chance to order!

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hi Miguel,

Gosh, I'm sorry! I have you on the list (#18), but it looks like your address didn't survive the trip from excel to gmail. Your boiler is waiting for you if you'll have us back. :) I'll email you what you've missed, and make sure you get all future messages.

Hi Jim – The bottom of the base is relatively small because it flips and nests inside the conical chimney for transport. I've used my prototype everywhere from talus fields to a stick platform on snow and not really had any problems – I think it looks more unstable than it really is. If one wanted to be extra sure, stakes or some rocks could be used to really keep it in place.

Eric Fredricksen
    BPL Member

@efredricksen

Locale: Silicon Valley

Apologies if this has been covered previously, but why a relatively heavy neoprene sleeve rather than Reflectix? or fiberglass? (Or silicone if that's by chance lighter.)

Awesome project with a great result.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Locale: Ozarks

This is so simple, it's a genius design. As an only cooker, would this be as efficient as one of the caldera systems if only boiling water? Weight ratio vs. Size?

Andrei Tudor
    BPL Member

@andrei_tudor

Really cool design, but I can't see how this would be lighter than a pot / stove combo. You can't cook in the kettle, so you'd have to carry an extra pot / mug anyway.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Andrei, you're right, but for people who are only doing boil in bag meals/FBC (like myself), this is awesome.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Well, I have two Caldera Cone systems, and enjoy using them very much. I've also had fun with a 19 ounce Kelly Kettle. That said, I look forward to using my 6.5 to 8 ounce Boilerwerks wood burner. You speak of weight ration vs. size, but don't forget, with the wood burner you are not lugging fuel. I love all of these pieces of kit, and I expect to love the new lighter kettle too.

Andrei Tudor
    BPL Member

@andrei_tudor

I agree with these 2 comments (yours and Konrad's), I just thought I was missing something here.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Thanks all! Those explanations are at least as good as those I could give. :)

On the neoprene, Eric – I'm kind of a material snob and Neoprene has a lot going for it. I couldn't find anything that could do all of what I wanted the sleeve to do as well as neoprene – insulate for lifting, protect the kettle, not slide off. Even though it's a bit heavy, the material has a lot of integral characteristics that make it an elegant solution.

I find both reflectix and fiberglass rather ugly. Both would also require some kind of adhesive to fix them to the kettle wall and I didn't want to do that. And fiberglass can splinter.

Since silicone is, loosely, a rubber rather than a foam, it's actually heavier per volume than neoprene.

Having said that, I do offer the bare kettle for those who want to experiment. The lightest and most multi-function option I've come up with is folding it up in a handkerchief in transport and then rolling the handkerchief up and looping it around the boiler to lift it. It takes some practice, but can be done. I'll probably need to provide an illustration of that technique at some point.

Edit: Sorry for misspelling your name Eric!

david hensley

@aliasdave

Do you have any videos of this beast in action? To suck up my pride, I really don't understand how it works.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Hi David:

Sure! I really need to make my own diagram of the anatomy of a chimney kettle.

Here's a video of my prototype in use: http://www.theboilerwerks.com/2010/05/rainy-day-hot-tea/

Here's a page with Thermette's diagram: http://www.thermette.com/thermette_history.htm

Edit: didn't regular old html links used to work on here?

Edit Edit Hmm: link. I swear that didn't work the first time. :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Edit: didn't regular old html links used to work on here?"

Yup

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Devin
    Great video. Yes you are correct you did not need to blow on it 'cause you had no marshmallows to toast…
    I used the Thermette (2 L) about 30 years ago and yours pretty much works like that one.
    Probably the easiest wood operated burner as there is no skill at all involved in lighting that up and keeping it going.
    Well , very little anyway.
    Very much looking forward getting mine.
    Job well done !
    Franco

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Thanks for the links. That makes things quite clear. What a cool device. I love how light and compact it is.

Now, if I can just convince myself that it's worth violating the law to use (wood fires are generally illegal in Southern California except in developed campgrounds).

HJ

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools