Topic

UL Shorts w/ Pockets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL Shorts w/ Pockets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Craig S Stewart

@cstewart

Locale: Southwest Germany

Has anyone found any good UL shorts w/ front pockets that can carry a few items and can be accessed while wearing a pack with hipbelt? The shorts I have seen(7-10 oz)are much too heavy. Would like to find something in the 3-4 oz range.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

GoLite has several shorts in the 4-5 oz. category. No large pockets though.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I have a nice pair of Nike Dri-Fit baggy running shorts. They have 2 front seam pockets and a little key pocket on the rear waistband. The front pockets are large enough to fully conceal a hand and part of the wrist. The shorts weigh 5.9oz in M, and that includes a liner. They also go down to near my knees. To save an ounce or two, I could easily cut 4 inches off of each leg tube and remove the liner.

Sorry I don’t know the specific model, but I’m sure you can find something similar from Nike and other mass-market athletic companies.
    -Mark

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Territory Ahead has a cotten/poly blend that weighs 5 oz. Stubbies has a rugby short in microfiber[100% poly] that is a little less, but these things are bullet proof. Patagonia baggies hit at 6 oz. but there was a baggie light that weighed a touch over 3 oz. But if I was looking for a lightweight short with side pockets I’ld go look at women’s running shorts. For some reason more women’s shorts have side pockets then do men’s, look for a loose fit like asic’s R/10, size up accordingly, cool color selections and just enough inseam to get by.

tim davis

@davis2001r6

I’ve been looking for the same thing lately. Cut the weight from my pack, bag, tent and cookset. But clothing keeps getting me.

I’m looking for some shorts with pockets that are knee length, no the 1970 basketball shorts.

Any recommendations you guys have would be great.

Thanks,

TIM

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

With or without a liner/brief?

With? Patagonia Baggies

Without? REI Sahara Shorts

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I use a pair of New Balance shorts, 2 side pockets and a key pocket. They weigh 4.64oz for a size large. I have had them awhile and they have this product number (?) on them. RN#96937/CA#06054. I think they could be made lighter with a thiner draw-cord. They have a liner and are made out of 100% Polyester.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I have the Sahara shorts — they are great — but they are not that light: 7.6 oz for a Medium.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Yup, it’s the length that is the problem. There are all kinds of running shorts that weigh next to nothing and if they have a liner, they are usually non-chafing. You get to save on the weight of the shorts and briefs too. They’re great in hot weather. My preference is zip-offs if there is any sign of sun– good for wading too.

I haven’t seen a truely UL hiking short– something I would expect to be built like a running short with a little more length and pockets– really light polyester with a polyester brief. Add Mountain Hardwear’s trick of a conical waist and a nice waistband lining with a thin belt and very flat thin buckle.

Nike made some nylon ACG shorts with zippered front pockets. I liked that feature for keeping stuff from taking a hike on it’s own :)

tim davis

@davis2001r6

The Patagonia Baggies look pretty good, I see they come in long too, otherwise they only have a 5” inseam.

I’ve sean the sahara shorts or the sahara convertibles, both are too short for my liking.

I’ll order a pair of the Patagonia Baggies, hopefully I can find them in a decent color.

Thanks

Craig S Stewart

@cstewart

Locale: Southwest Germany

Just wanted to thank everybody for their ideas on some shorts to consider. I agree w/ Dale, the perfect UL shorts do not appear to exist but one these may work. Perhaps the BPL Staff will see this thread and consider UL shorts for a new BPL product.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

You know, the lil’ lightbuld went on as I was going through the high -tech clothing companies and Montane came up. What we really want is a pair of shorts that parallel UL windshirts.

Montane Sonic Shorts:
    Details
    Elasticated waist with drawcord
    3M Scotchlite reflective detail
    Two zipped side pockets with internal key pocket
    Internal mesh brief
    High-thigh slits for freedom of movement
    Colours: Steel grey / graphite (Main image), Steel grey / fluoro green
    Fabric
    Main body: Cotton-feel TACTEL®
    Brief: DRYACTIV® Mesh
    Weight
    150g / 5oz – Medium

http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=68&rid=7

GoLite has a bunch of shorts in the 50z range and the inseams are 8-1/2″ on the men’s models.

You know one way to deal with this is to buy a pair of really light wind pants and make shorts out of them.

I’m becoming much more of the mind to have UL pants that are large enough in the leg to roll up and have button tabs just like many shirts do on the sleeves. I’ve rolled mine up to just below my knees which seems to give a lot of cooling.

Montane windpants are only 4oz a pair, so they should really be light with half the legs and the ankle zips gone. There are some on Ebay right now for $39.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia
    Jan Unneberg
    BPL Member

@blueskyii

Locale: Pennsylvania

Craig,
    Look no further than the uncoated microfiber ‘Fitness Gear’ shorts with 4″ inseams sold in Dick’s Sporting Goods stores. Size medium, which is always in short supply, weighs about 3.7 ox. I don’t think they sell the shorts on their website, only in the stores. The shorts have a liner, two side pockets, and an internal key pocket. I’ve used the same pair of shorts since 2004 and the thin microfiber material is plenty tough, cool in the summer, and warm in cool weather. Dick’s seems to restock the shorts every month in the spring and summer, but they sell pretty fast and can be hard to find in the store. My supply will probably last for the next few decades.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

I’ve had a pair of TNF Class V Belted shorts for years. Mine have an integrated belt, two front pockets, one rear pocket, two zippered cargo pockets, and an 8 inch inseam, and they weigh 8 oz in a size medium. I guess the more basic version — with no belt and fewer pockets — might be in the weight range that people are seeking (<6 oz).

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I just came across the Patagonia Ultimate Hiking Shorts: 9″ inseam, front pockets, compartmented rear pockets (??!!), polyester liner, etc, etc and 7oz. They have a couple sizes on sale at http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/product_focus.jsp?OPTION=PRODUCT_FOCUS_DISPLAY_HANDLER&style_color=24591&ws=TRUE&src=perfdf

Check the freight before you get too excited about their prices.

J R

@ravenul

“I’m becoming much more of the mind to have UL pants that are large enough in the leg to roll up and have button tabs just like many shirts do on the sleeves. I’ve rolled mine up to just below my knees which seems to give a lot of cooling.”

Teva had some of these. They were in the sportsmans guide catalog a few months back. I never ordered them so dont know what they weighed, but it definatly made sense. My biggest gripe with zip off shorts is the fact that I either lose one of the legs at some point, or I wear them as shorts MUCH more than I do pants and the shorts section fades out and wears out while the legs still look new.

Roll ups fix both problems

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I use my Mammut Courmeyeur Pants that way, rolled up most of the time. I always roll the hems toward the inside so that the delicate inner surface doesn’t catch on branches and rocks.

I also like breeches a lot, but they can be impractical when it starts to get cold or there are a lot of biting insects. In the old days people would wear very long socks. Just right for that Ebeneezer Scrooge look!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools