Topic

What are people using for pillows?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What are people using for pillows?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I don't have enough leftovers (extra clothing, etc) to make a big enough pillow. My pack rolled up isn't tall enough either…that and the buckles don't feel too good pressed into my head or ear. I have used dried grass in my sleeping bag stuff sack with good results. Dried rush and leaves work well too but are a bit noisy. Of these, grass is the most readily available where I go but even it isn't always handy.

What are some low cost, sizable and light (~2 oz) things people are using and/or making?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

When in my hammock I use a chunk of foam rubber in a tiny (fleece) pillowcase. Light, comfy, and CHEAP!

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

I made one awhile back that I am in love with. I have never been able to find a comfy backcountry pillow until now!

I made essentially a down filled pillow case with a velcro closure. I used Momentum .9 fabric and some leftover 800fp down I had from my Quilt project. I made each side of the pillow case with a few sewn thru boxes, filled them with down, closed them and then the opening at the top is closed with velcro. Now I just thrown any stuffsacks and clothes I am not using inside to give the pillow some loft while having the outer layer having the feel of a down pillow.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

For the past year I've been using one of Bender's inflatable. Best pillow I've ever had.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Half a dead grizzly bear…

Cheers

Steve Small

@lustreking

A bit of extra clothing, supplemented with an inflatable water wing to gain height (I'm a side sleeper).

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

2/3 of a still warm wombat?

A portion of "passed-on" porcine porcupine?

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I don't bring one. If side-sleeping, my arm finds its way under my head. Much less stink than dead grizzly, less to carry too.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

+1 for Bender's inflatable.

2 ounces in a homemade polyester and silnylon pillowcase.

Party On,

Newton

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Can someone tell me more about the Bender pillow or direct me to a link?

Portions of grizzly and wombats sound softer than a bag of rattlesnakes.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Sounds interesting, Kris. If you happen to have some pics, would love to see them. Thanks.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a Mont Bell that is light and I have glued velcro on it and my sleeping pad to keep it from wandering around the tent. The Mont Bell pads have mating toggles to accomplish that. The $20+ dollar price didn't impress me. Exped has one that looks like a better shape to me.

I have been looking at the Cocoon Ultralight Air Core pillows and I think that is the design to copy if you are going for a MYOG.There is an air bladder with a layer of polyester batting and a fabric cover. You get the support of the air bladder, the comfort of the batting, and the stay-put qualities of the fabric. The lightest model is 3.5oz, so you have your work cut out for you. If you buy one, they run about $25. They have a 6.5oz model that is more like $20.

A Platypus bladder looks like a good start to me. One of the 1.8 liter models are more square than the 2 and 3 liter ones. A Platypus is pretty tough and you may be able to find other lighter sources for an air bladder. Adding a padded fabric bag to one of the Flexair pillows sold on BPL is a reasonable alternative to me.

It would be great to get some multiple use– a fleece stuff sack that you can put a Platypus in– that sort of thing. The idea of having to empty a water bladder every night doesn't seem practical, but it does provide a good backup water carrier in a pinch.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

2 litre Platy

cheers,
    fred

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

@rusty

kookabay.com

You can also find some info by searching this site. I have the prototype he showed here. I like it, but I can't comfortably use it because I move around too much. Maybe I should velcro it to my pad. Lately I throw either my R1 or down jacket into a stuff sack. I don't wear those when I sleep because of the VBL quilt.

Joe Newton
    BPL Member

@grayjoe

I have been using the Exped Air Pillow. Like it quite a bit.

Joe

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Rusty,

Follow this link to see Bender's Pillow on his website.

Follow this link to see my pillow from Bender in its MYOG pillowcase if you are interested.

A few dots or stripes of seam sealer will keep it from wandering around in the middle of the night.

Party On,

Newton

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

This will give me some things to contemplate over the winter.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools