Topic

Glen van Peski in Japan

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Not sure if this has been posted on BPL previously, but it's a very nice report about a trip Glen took to Japan courtesy of Evernew & Hiker's Depot.

http://gossamergear.com/wp/tribal/photo-gallery/gg-trips/japan-2010

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I was talking to a heavy-weight backpacker from Japan and he said that going light just isn't "the Japanese way." Not sure if that is true or not (I suppose you could say it's not the American way, either.) Anyway, he would likely change his ways if it seemed to be the Japanese way, that there were articles and reports written in Japanese with figures he could cite.

Yohei Aoyagi
    BPL Member

@zzz_bear

Locale: Tokyo

Hi Tom,

You can read Miguel's post also.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=36921&skip_to_post=321451#321451

This time, fortunately we had a chance to hike with Glen.
    We spent very interesting time. How light his pack is!

Yohei Aoyagi
    BPL Member

@zzz_bear

Locale: Tokyo

Hi Piper,

There are various people in Japan.
    Some people go heavy, some people go light.

Of course, I go to light :-)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Piper, Yohei was one of the very light ones. I have a thing or two to learn from his methods. I really liked the simplicity and clean, uncluttered packing style he had.

Before modern times Japanese tended to travel very lightly. Long distance walking was part of their culture, especially because they had few big animals for transportation and didn't use many wheeled vehicles until the end of the Edo period. The heavy backpacking style of today was introduced by the British back in the 1800's. Most stores still stock mostly traditional weight gear, but all the big hiking magazines are now actively and frequently publishing articles about UL techniques. A lot of the people who joined Glen for his hike here, including Yohei, are at the forefront of the UL movement and have become quite famous nationally through the magazines.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools