Topic

Supplementing Mont bell thermawrap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Supplementing Mont bell thermawrap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    frank white

@smoky1

With winter quickly approaching I was curious what most of you carry out in freezing temps (mid to upper twenties). I carry a thermawrap late fall and early spring but have been using a marmot guides down sweater in the winter months, which is way too HEAVY. I have started looking at the montbell permafrost light down. I just want to sit around camp warm without carrying more than one jacket.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I add warmth from underneath. I use a midweight Patagonia fleece sweater along with a BPL Cocoon Hoody (which is similar to the Thermawrap). Generally speaking, the Cocoon Hoody stays in the pack until I stop. The weather in the Northwest is often damp, with temperatures a few degrees either side of freezing. Since I tend to cross country ski when I travel in the winter, I'm generating plenty of moisture, so I like the fact that fleece breathes so well. I should mention that I also have a fleece hat. I put the Hoody on when I stop for a break, or ski downhill. I also have a thin fleece balaclava for when it is really cold.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

what temps are you looking at?

frank white

@smoky1

Probably the lowest temps would be low twenties. I was thinking the permafrost light down would get me there but I also don't want overkill. Again using it once I get to camp just sitting around. I also read the other recent post mentioning the new frostline parka. The one big difference is the permafrost light down has the windstopper technology. I don't know how much of a difference that really makes. I have done some winter hiking, I just want to carry the right stuff to minimize weight and maximize warmth.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

something with 5-6 oz of 800 fill down …

alpine light down is the very lightest id consider taking into the mid/high 20s by itself … i have a westcomb kokanee which is a tad warmer for those temps

tons of jackets in that 15-20 oz range with 5+ oz down

you wont save that much weight over yr marmot … if that works for you … maybe 5 oz

id just stick with the marmot personally if it works …

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Richard Nisley did the research for this –

GarmentWarmth

– and the details surrounding it can be found Here.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Consider the Feathered Friends Hyperion, Western Mountaineering Flight, or Nunatak's Skaha Plus… all about 10 ounces and warm. Skaha Plus is baffled & hooded, comes in at $369. Hyperion & Flight are sewn-thru & non-hooded, but great jackets, at ~$225-250.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i wear a a patagonia micro puff pullover when stopped and in camp. my base layer would be a nike drifit or mammut dri-release long sleeve shirt. over that goes a cloudveil walk don't run power-stretch hoodie and over that goes a wild things windshirt or flume hard shell. the micro puff can be worn over or under the windshirt, but only under the hard shell. i also carry a supplemental polartech hat that i can wear under the hoodie. haven't been cold yet. when there's a chance the weather is going to be warm enough that it could rain or i am potentially going to throw the layer on when wet i stay way from down jackets. i know that a lot of them claim to address the water issue, but i have a healthy fear of being cold, wet and not being able to warm up.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I use all of my current 3 season gear in layers for the winter. Baselayer (8 oz) and windshirt (3.1 oz) for hiking, nano puff (9.7 oz-similar to thermawrap) on top when stopping briefly, and my old patagonia down hoodie (14 oz) on top of that when making camp or ice fishing (what can I say- I live in Michigan). Combined with fleece gloves, overmitts, and a balaclava, this setup has kept me comfortable down to -7 F with heavy wind. I could save more weight by ditching the nano puff and down hoodie and getting a heavier down jacket in place of them, but I like the versatility of the layering system and the fact that I get to use one set of gear year round.

Stuart Kandell

@stukandell

The Ul Thermawrap was fantastic for my two month trip in Patagonia's summer (snow,rain, wind, wind, wind, and occasional sunshine). It is so versatile. For cold temps (high 30's), I wore a wilk undershirt, with a polyester/spandex overshirt, then the UL. For wind (upwards of 60-70 mph), just used my mountain Hardware rain jacket. Even by itself in a light rain, it does fine. Since returning, I wear it around the house with a tee shirt. Barely take it off. It's a winner!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

mb exl under my dead bird atom lt

good to the 20s

only 6 oz more

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools