Topic

Gorilla or Blast for PCT 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gorilla or Blast for PCT 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

on a side note what do everyone think about the newer exos … the ones with the newer stay, not the perforated aluminum panel

i tried one on and was quite impressed ….

Osprey is definately one of the big manuf that are pushing themselves

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hi Joshua! Too bad the Gorilla didn't work out for you. I haven't experienced the problem you described with mine and put it through many comfortable miles carrying a similar weight this past summer. Since you've eliminated that prospect, I can highly recommend the Osprey Exos, which I also have. It's essentially an external-frame pack and carries heavier loads well, but it's not exactly a workhorse…35-40 lbs is probably the comfortable max. I got the 58L model specifically for winter camping and all the bulkier gear that entails, and I wasn't disappointed. Go for it!

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

I love my Exos 46 for loads of 25lb and less. The trampoline back panel stretches and contours my back perfectly and is extremely comfortable. I would agree with others that it technically is an external frame pack but would consider it more of a hybrid. The hip belt and shoulder straps seem flimsy but are quite comfortable for me, they don't seem to rub my shoulders as raw as some beefier packs. I like the Exos 46 so much I have the 58L version on the way for winter use (even after trying different packs). This thing is so light for a great feature set and carries so well that I would not even consider a frameless pack. I am interested in trying out a ULA Circuit sometime though.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Josh, if you do decide on the Exos, I'll be posting a Medium and Large Exos 58 in like-new condition shortly with all the original tags, etc. for under retail – just PM me (shipping from CA). It is a very innovative design but I want even more volume for winter in order to carry things for other people like my wife and winter newbie friends and for the occasional longer winter trip.

It can easily carry over 25 lbs, and I find the waist belt and shoulder straps perfectly sufficient. 30 lbs should be fine but I personally wouldn't go above that. Do check out Will Reitveld's excellent writeup on the Exos 58. It does provide the coolest back for 3 season use, so much so that I think I'll pick up the Exos 34 for hot summer hiking. It's like wearing A/C in summer.

Also, Retropump who uses the pack for winter too makes nice use of the space between the mesh and pack back in winter with a storage bag to add volume, keep snow out of the space and keep her back warmer.

And FYI, I've been told you can order narrower shoulder straps for the Gorilla, and also place featherweight round pipe insulation in the shoulder straps to make them narrower and keep them from rubbing your neck. Perhaps that would keep them from digging in. You could also probably add some thicker standard shoulder strap padding.

ryan Ashby

@steveclimber

Locale: So Cal

yo dude, lots of good comments here, I started my PCT last year with a Gorilla (60L), and then got an ATOMOS (50L), and finally around Reno I got a Osprey Talon 44. I have to say the Talon, which hadn't been mentioned in this thread yet, is hands down my favorite, larger enough to even hold all your gear and a bear canister. zero complaints about this pack, and it has no signs of damage after 1,300 miles or so. Cheers.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools