Topic

POE Ether Elite 6 2/3 Length Air Mat Product Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable POE Ether Elite 6 2/3 Length Air Mat Product Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tom

> maybe you had actually run the model
    Run a numerical model? Nope. The number of assumptions required to set up such a model boggles the mind. Sorting out the constants or factors would be a PhD project! Field testing is simpler and has the virtue of being believable :-)
    But yes, everything I review has been field tested. Fairly thoroughly too in most cases. (Better thank my wife who also does some of the testing for me.)
    Sometimes, when the items are good, I lose them to my wife … :-) The manufacturer can really take a bow when she pinches an item off me.

> Aren't the tubes inter-connected?
    Yes, but the effect of that is rather small. The interconnection is usually limited to a small cross-section at one or both ends. Unless you are trampolining all night, the amount of air passing into and out of the *edge* tubes is small. They inflate, and that's it. In general I sleep more or less on the middle of the mat, so I do not lean very much on the edge tubes. There may be some circulation between middle tubes of course.

> Have you tried it with the closed cell pad above and below?
    I will confess that most of my field testing has been done with the CCF underneath. I tried putting the CCF on top a few times and found it awkward to manage, and apparently no better. My experience; others may feel differently of course. Also bear in mind that the POE EE 6 has some (not a lot of) insulation under the top surface. This insulation WAS noticeable. I think it fluffs up during the night.

> My quilt is flattened underneath me, so it's a fairly short line between me and the outside at the edge.
    Ah, hum … In general my UL quilt stays on top of me except for the short bit at my feet, and it's a bit wider than most. Wide enough that I can tuck my wife under it as well if it is very cold. I can't say I have ever noticed any significant cold under me. OK, I'm a woose.

> Can't say that I ever have that much gear to pile along side, but you have stated
    > before that you pack fairly heavy compared to some others on BPL.
    I had better explain about that.

First of all, our weather can be VERY variable, FAR more variable than much of America. It can be >30 C in the middle of the day and yet hail or snow at night. This applies both in the Alpine region and also in the local mountains. It's due to geographic factors that can flick the major airstreams around – butterfly effect. So … needs must we include a little more by way of clothing. It would be rare that I am not carrying a thermal top and a Cocoon 60. But if it is warm at night that clothing stays in its stuff sacks. Extra weight I know, but you try cooking dinner with just a wet shirt and a cold-front storm outside. :-)

Second, as we are often out for up to a week at a time, there is usually a fair bit of food in small stuff sacks. It too makes a good barrier at the edge of the mat. We use everything!

Third, some of our local mountains are a bit on the cliffy side. (Up to 600 m of near vertical rock in fact.) We have to carry some rope etc both for safety and planned passes through cliff-lines. Often just 5 or 6 mm line though.

Yeah, it all adds up. Well, you should see what some of the local heavy-weights carry!

Cheers
    Roger

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Roger,
    Appreciate the prompt and detailed response. I have to admit that I was trying to "get your goat" a bit with the lightweight comment.
    Tom

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I have a POE Ether Compact 6, and have been wanting to get the Elite because of the lighter weight and insulation.

The Instaflator looks pretty neat, but I've been saying for years that it's dead easy to do the exact same thing with a plastic bag and a rubber band. For me, it's multiuse, as I usually have a black trash bag or two with me as a pack liner and other use. Cut a small bit off the corner and attach the bag to the mat with the rubber band and inflate in the same way as the Instaflator. UL, and very flexible in your choice of bag material and size.

I assumed other people did this- I guess I should make a video or something, but it's *really* easy. No reason to discount a pad like this or the NeoAir because of a fear of mold or moisture.

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

More information about the replacement for this pad, the Peak Elite AC. The press release is claiming R4.5 in the torso and R2.5 everywhere else. If true, this seems like an impressive pad for the weight (14oz full length) and price ($65 MSRP).

http://pacoutdoor.com/blog/new-2011-product-peak-elite-ac
    http://www.journeymantraveller.com/2010/12/pacific-outdoor-equipment-peak-elite-ac.html

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The upcoming new version of this pad sounds good enough that I will wait for it instead of taking advantage of closeout sales on the older version.

Sometimes we are just too caught up in complexity to think of something that is so simple it should be obvious! As witness Aaron's using the plastic bag and rubber band for blowing up the inflatable pad! I would suggest taking several extra rubber bands, though!

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools