Topic

Overfill Summerlite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Overfill Summerlite?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Davis

@fauxrealz

Locale: East Coast

I'm looking to buy a Summerlite with 2oz overfill. The WM does not have this as a listed option. Anybody know if this is possible or just an error on the site?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am pretty sure they will not do overfill on a Summerlite, Highlite, or Caribou.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Why not email WM? I think they're going to be a much better position to say whether or not it's something they do or if information on website is in error… This is BPL, not the WM Support Forum. :D

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

It is not a standard option, & they strongly discourage Summerlite overfills. I'm a WM dealer; they've told me that they have done overfills, but it's somewhere around an ounce of down & they don't feel it's enough to make a difference. They use very short baffles in the Summerlite, & don't want to put more down in the bag b/c they feel there wouldn't be enough room in the shell. Being a "super custom" thing they don't particularly want to do, any lead time would be great. But if you just have to have an overfill & cajole them enough, they might do it. You won't get 2oz out of them…

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Begs the question: why?

If there isn't enough enough room in the shell, it's not going to loft up enough to add any warmth to the bag. If the concern is losing loft over the long-term, taking care of the bag properly will go a long way. If you're still attached to it in 10 years, you can put a bit more down in or pay someone else to do it for you.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"If there isn't enough enough room in the shell, it's not going to loft up enough to add any warmth to the bag. "

It won't "loft" any higher, but the increase in density will increase the warmth (up to 2.5x typical densities), per Mr. Nisley, (and the guy who insulated my attic).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools