Topic

Different Oats

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

From a raw foods cookbook, I found an interesting idea–oat groats. If they are soaked overnight they are ready to eat the next morning either cold or heated up. Along with the oats one can soak dried fruits/nuts. My favorite is golden raisens, dried cranberrys, chopped candied ginger (Trader Joe’s uncrystilized), and walnuts. The thicker the oats (in this case whole) the more nutrition. They are actually a bit soft and chewable without soaking, nothing like a wheat berry.

Richard Stein

@buckaroobanzai

I think the thickness only relates to how long the oats must be soaked/cooked and how fast the carbohydrates raise your blood sugar. I don’t think the nutrients are any different. Thus, I think rolled oats might be more successful than whole oat groats. Even the in between version of steel cut oats takes plenty of soaking/cooking time to get beyond crunchy.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Thanks for the correction, so the larger the cut the slower they release into your system is what I understood you to say. For some reason, my body doesn’t seem to recognize instant oats as fuel, while the thicker ones stay with me along time. I’ve been eating the groats at home too and I just plain like them.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Way too much fuel used to get oat groats to an edible state in the backcountry even with soaking.
    Since you are eating them at home I ran across a method of cookin them that skips the soaking, you cook them in a crock pot the night before. Try a 4 to 1 ratio of water to oats, steel cut or groats. It seems to come out extra creamy.
    If the oatmeal is to glycemic for you try stirring 2 tab. of protein powder, whey mixes easier, soy is cheaper. Also sweetening with fructose helps with the lnsulin spiking.

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

I too cook my oat groats in a crockpot overnight & they are still a bit chewy but good! I can’t imagine how they could be ready to eat with just soaking.

I understand whole grains always have more nutrients than cut grains. The process of cutting decreases nutritional value. Also, some methods of cutting retain nutrients better than other methods.

Thai Wood

@fenrir

Maybe I’m missing something, but isn’t the idea to use no fuel since its from a raw food cookbook, so if you already eat that kind of thing then it sounds like it’d be a good idea as long as you had the time

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools