Topic

First MYOG Projects

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First MYOG Projects

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I have never sewn anything before, but I do have access to a sewing machine (Brother SE400). What would be the best projects to start with to get my sewing skills up to par?

Whatever you recommmend, do you have any guides for those projects?

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

My 1st was a UL Event/SilNylon Bivy

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Have a look at the MYOG articles.

Specifically the 5 yards to SUL series.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Start with the stuffsack from the 5 yards article mentioned

Use silnylon 2nds from http://www.owfinc.com/ or other sources – about $5.50 a yard

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Start with the stuffsack from the 5 yards article mentioned
    +1

Cheers

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

I just got started with a sewing machine as well. I did the 5 yards to SUL stuffsack that others have recommended and it was a perfect first project. The first one took me about an hour and now I can make them in about 10-15 minutes and they keep getting better each time. I got lucky and found some very light ripstop nylon at walmart for $1.50 a yard.

I'm not sure what to do for my second project though. I have some kits on order from thru-hiker.com. I'm going to try and tackle the wind jacket.

Beginning to learn to sew has really given me an appreciation for the amount of time and the skill of craftsmanship some of the cottage gear makers are putting into things.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

Pick something to make that you will use, sounds like a stuff sack or two. Pick a material that you want to learn how to use, silnylon is very slick. Have fun!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I sewed for the first time in December 2009. New Brother machine.

I'm sorry to sound negative, but you have to assume that you will screw up one or two items. That is part of the learning process. So, I highly recommend that you start with a simple pattern and some cheap fabric. Once you have your basics mastered, you can move toward more complexity with high-tech fabrics.

I started with stuff sacks, then got a rain parka pattern. The first parka was kind of a mess, but the second one works fine. A bivvy sack is easy. A silk sleeping bag liner is useful.

–B.G.–

Robert Coleman

@jbo_c

A hammock is a great first DIY sewing project. Even if you don't end up using it for hiking, it's darned comfortable in the backyard for an afternoon nap.

JustJeff's Hammock site is where many people start. 100% of the info you need right there.

Another good choice would be an "oven" for freezer bag cooking.

Jbo

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

My first sewing project was the Ray Jardine bomber hat. I was amazed I was able to do it. It came out pretty well for a beginner and the instructions were actually pretty easy to follow. I also learned something about how to sew something that has a layer of something in between two layers of something else. This has come in handy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools