Topic

John Muir Trail (JMT) Record Attempt – Unsupported, Without Resupply

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable John Muir Trail (JMT) Record Attempt – Unsupported, Without Resupply

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Third time’s a charm. We’re all hoping he’ll make it.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Gets you kind of tingly thinking he’s out there right now running. He’ll be out there running and running and running all the while we’re brushing our teeth or eating dinner, or sleeping, or chatting on the phone. That’s a lot of miles to cover in such a short time. Can’t wait to hear about it from his perspective!

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Go for it Al!
    We’re rooting you on!

Drew Thayer

@dthayer17

Every morning, when the sun rises over the atlantic, I know you’re still running out there in the cold darkness. And when it sets, I know you’ve still got three more hours of radiation before more clothes go on. I wish you a trip free of friction injuries and impediments so you can unleash your stamina like you know you can. Ride, on brother. You’re in a beautiful place.

-Drew (nephew)

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Hopefully, Al will beat a change of weather in progress in the Sierra. High winds, plunging nightime temps. and lowering highs. Chance of precip, including snow.

Rats. I’m leaving for a Yosemite high country trip, mañana, too.

Reed Thayer

@ninjamaster

Al called to say he had made the decision to hike out at 6 a.m. Friday from north of Rae Lakes. Every step was hurting due to blisters, and intestinal bugs had gotten to him. It was a 26-mile hike to the road and then there was no traffic. Finally, he got a ride to Fresno, where he spent the night in a motel. He’s now ultralight backpacking in the city, working out a way to get to his car in Yosemite Valley. He’s not going for Attempt #4, but plans on getting some more Sierra hiking in before descending to the lowlands again. I’m sure he’ll have details for you. He really enjoyed hearing me read to him your enthusiastic messages of support. Thanks to all!

Janet

Reed Thayer

@ninjamaster

Al called to say that after running all night (he hit Forester Pass at 11 p.m.), at 6 a.m. Friday, he decided to quit the JMT and head out to the west. Blisters were making every step painful, intestinal critters were making themselves known, and he had “bonked.” However, he still had 26 miles to hike out to a road, which had virtually no traffic. Finally, he caught a ride to Fresno where he slept at a motel. He is now ultralight backpacking in the city and trying to get a ride up to Yosemite Valley to his car. He enjoyed hearing me read your enthusiastic and supportive comments over the phone. He plans to stay high while he’s still acclimated and do some short hikes if he’s able. Thanks to all,
    Janet

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

My friend was on Mt. Whitney this last Wednesday and said that he was “rained off the mountain” and came home early. I bet Al hit some of the same type of weather.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Can’t wait to hear some stories from Al. Someone from the boards must live in the Fresno area that could give Al a ride???

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Alright Al,
    Let’s hear some details – but save the good stuff for the follow on article:)

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Alas I am not wearing the victor’s laurel wreath as I do victory laps around Degnan’s Deli in Yosemite Village. Instead I am holed up at the internet cafe in Lone Pine deleting unsolicited offers to “Enlarge My Thingy”. An ignomonious end to a noble quest.

Suffice it to say that I took on a 40 mile/day challenge with 30 mile/day feet. Advice and support from all were much appreciated, but not enough to toughen my tender tootsies.

Carol and Cat will fill in the details with their wrap-up report.

Thanks and Cheers to all!
    Al

Jeffrey Cannon
    BPL Member

@jeffplddirect-com

Locale: Central California

I am quite interested in your trip as a partner and I are going to attempt a 7 day north to south trip starting Sept 2nd. We are going to have several food drops so technically we are not "unsupported". Also, we plan to sleep and eat cooked meals. We are hoping to add just enough mileage to a 30 per day schedule to get off of Whitney at a reasonable time on the 7th day. If both trips go off as planned, we should cross paths at some point.

Based on your research, do you know if there is an "official" record for a north-south JMT thru hike? Not that we will be chomping at the bit to walk any faster, but it would be fun to know.

Also, I notice that you live in the Santa Cruz area. We live near San Luis Obispo and would love to hook up for a training hike sometime this summer. Any interest?

Jeff Cannon
    [email protected]

Kenneth L Muller
    BPL Member

@ken_muller

Locale: North to the Future on the Kenai Peninsula

Buzzz,
    Sorry to say dude, but you are wrong. The Mt Whitney Trail starts at Whitney Portal and joins the JMT at the trail junction just to the west and a few hundred feet below Trail Crest. The JMT's southern terminus is the summit of Mt Whitney.The Mountaineers Route... the REAL way up to the summit!

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Locale: SoCal

Al:

Simply stated, your JMT run report was awesome. Keep up the good work and good luck to you!

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Locale: SoCal

AL:

I have a bug for conquering the useless… You and I know that no one on the other side of the trailhead will give a flying rat's tail about what a speedhiker might have accomplished in 3-5 days. But, I have to give it a go. I don't know why yet… I just have to go. Your report, as well as Brett's, Popov's and Ian's, tell me lots.

I have been "training" since November 2009 and just recently went on a full dress rehearsal; 32.5 miles in a little over 9 hours. I have a busy training schedule for this summer and beyond. I want to give the JMT a supported "go" on 2011 and an unsupported "go" on 2012 for my 50th birthday.

The training I am undergoing is telling me plenty about myself but, I have so much to learn in regards to nutrition and gear; not to mention I am a diabetic (type 2 –no meds) and I have to be careful not to bunk too low on sugar… Heck, the more realistic the training gets, the more I realize that a JMT record will not be possible. I went from "record" thoughts, to five day plans. I am now training for a six (6) day speedhike. It is reality hitting me and I am content it is so. Anyway, thank you for your report and I will be in touch with some questions later.

Happy Trails!

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools