Topic

Flashlight vs. Headlamp for hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Flashlight vs. Headlamp for hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

0.3oz – I use a modified Photon light as a flashlight, headlamp, overhead light in my tent…

http://www.mountainultralight.com/2010/11/worlds-lightest-headlamp.html

I use this as my only light source, and bring an extra set of batteries. Inexpensive and effective.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"I don't think I'm alone when I plan to have a backup flashlight/headlamp. Even the best piece of electronic equipment on this planet can, and does, fail. I can't think of a prudent reason not to have a back up…I hike alone and wish to minimize risk."

The way I see it, when you are day-hiking the sun is your primary source of lighting. Carrying one flashlight is carrying a backup light source because you never intend to use it. This is different from overnight hiking where at times you may be relying on your headlamp/flashlight as your primarily light, and thus you may want a second light as back up. Even then, I consider a second light more of a luxury. If the first light were to fail and I didn't have a second light it wouldn't be a big deal. A few years ago I was on a 5 day hike and on the third day my only headlamp was turned on by an impact to my pack and when I reached camp that night I found it was dead. It kinda sucked, but it wasn't a real problem in the life or death sense.

The only reason not having light might be a big deal is if other problems are occurring at the same time, like not having enough warm clothes to survive the night, so you need to get out immediately before hypothermia sets in. This is a troubling scenario, but the real problem is not the lack of lighting, but rather it's the lack of insulation. If you have the true essentials covered, then your light failing won't be a life or death problem.

Based on your concern about risk, I presume on your day hikes you are already carrying a basic shelter (ie. tarp or emergency blanket) and enough warm clothes to get you through the night. If you did get lost out there, would you really try to hike out at night? I would most likely stay put for at least the night and use my shelter and warm clothes. I guess my point is that even in a scenario where you are lost, a flashlight is more of a luxury item compared to essentials like shelter and insulation. On survival shows (ie. Survivorman) I don't think he ever has a flashlight/headlamp. You're right that a light could fail, but if you are properly prepared in all aspects then this shouldn't pose a serious risk.

If you are not carrying enough warm clothes or a shelter and are relying on a hiking out at night, then yeah I would want a second light. But a better approach would be to not rely on hiking out at night.

As a final comment, those tiny Photon lights do provide enough light to hike with in an emergency and they are super reliable because they are so simple. These are what I use for a backup light source. Even if it was to fail, I could probably pop it open and manually connect the LED to the battery using two wires to get light. If you want to spend more money on a more respected brand, Princeton Tec makes something similar called the Pulsar.

David Ure

@familyguy

"The way I see it, when you are day-hiking the sun is your primary source of lighting."

What about in the winter up north when the sun is only up for 6 hours? Oh, forgot about the moon. That should work and I can save 4oz.

RE: Survivor Man. Yes, he uses a light sometimes. Of course, he smashes it to light a fire….

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

If you were day hiking up north in the winter where there's just 6 hours of light then obviously you'd be limited to just 6 hour day hikes. If you are going longer than this then it's no longer just day hiking, it's night hiking.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

+1

Dan, fantastic post into the philosophy behind what's actually essential vs. wanted

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Dan said…"If you are going longer than this then it's no longer just day hiking, it's night hiking."

Nope, we just call it hiking. We would never get anywhere if we only walked during the day. It is remarkable how much one can see in the dark of November's rain. My wife and I walk a 3 mile trail almost every night and only use a light for the descent back to sea-level.

My problem is this silly thread has made me want to buy a new flashlight, and I made the mistake of looking at the recommended candlepower.com website. I can’t believe how many options there are I didn’t know about, and how useless my current lights now seem. It reminds me of the difference between walking into the Block Busters here in Juneau and the store in Chevak in western Alaska. There are only a couple of dozens dvds in the Chevak store and I make my selection fast and easy, while in Block Busters I can’t even decide which section to begin looking.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

"Dan, fantastic post into the philosophy behind what's actually essential vs. wanted"

Time to change it to the 9 essentials!

Andrew Dolman
    Spectator

@andydolman

So the ratio of day to overnight hiking incidents is about 3:1. But what is the ratio of day to overnight hikers?

David Ure

@familyguy

"If you are going longer than this then it's no longer just day hiking, it's night hiking."

Which is why you need a good backup light. Thanks for bringing this thread right back to the beginning, Dan, and your support of a decent backup light.

You may want to delete your previous post.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

The OP is not going for a night hike in Alaska. He is not intending to hike in the dark. Hiking during the day light hours is what we are discussing.

I am support of bringing a backup light for night hikes, but such discussion is irrelevant in this thread.

To be clear, my opinion is:

Daylight Hikes: 0-1 Lights
    Overnight/Night Hikes: 1-2 lights

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

what do you call

eric sets off late in the day off banana peel with girl …. tries to impress this girl with his aweseome 5.7 climbing skills … goes up the wrong route … gets benighted on the route… girl was not impressed and did not want to bivy with eric … eric was forced to descend the apron using his teenee weenie petzl elite

lol

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I recently got a zebralight H51. I have been playing with it at night, my wife already knows I am a little strange.

I really like this light. amazing throw and comfortable as a headlight or handheld.

I grabbed a used alkaline battery out of the drawer, and this light is super bright. The voltage on this used battery is exactly 1v. I can't imagine how much brighter this light would be with a new battery, either lithium or alkaline.

I have always carried a spare light, a princeton tec pulsar attached to my truck key.
    The H31 looks great too, I like the cr123 batteries, but I wanted the bright white.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Chris, the way a charge pump device works (between the battery and the LED) the answer might be that the brightness is not affected much by low battery voltage until the battery is almost dead.

Despite the fact that most of us carry a small headlamp for backpacking, and despite the fact that many of us carry a tiny "pinch-light" or coin battery type light for a backup… one of the more effective night hiking tools is your own human night vision. Granted, it is not so perfect on a dark night, but on a moonlit night it may be all you need for an open trail. Whilst in Army Infantry training many decades ago, I was taught how to properly use my night vision. It is a lightweight backup system, has multiple uses, and it weighs nothing at all. You do have to fuel it by eating the occasional carrot.

–B.G.–

David Ure

@familyguy

Eric – I don't think you should mention trying to impress a girl and teenie weenie in the same paragraph…..

@ Dan – having backpacked all over the world in every condition imaginable over the past 20 years all I can say is – don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Or, consider the conditions in which you trek and bring equipment that is suitable.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

wu demi

@processedin

I think a flashlight is much better for you. I always go hiking with a flashlight which can be used as a defensive tool and lighting. In my bag, there is always a SOS flashlight Xeccon L23. In a emergency situation, it can do a great help to me.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It would be difficult to use most of the type 3.0 inch flashlights as an effective defense weapon since they fit inside your palm…simply too short/small.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I like my hands free. Right now I use a couple LEDs clipped to my hat brim, but I've been thinking of getting a dedicated headlamp. And I agree with Bob, a lot of times a light is not necessary. When I need one, though, I do need one.

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

Well, there are lots of experienced opinions here but very little consensus. I may as well add to the confusion :o)

To the OP question, I'd recommend any good headlamp that has a strobe feature. I know of at least one case of a hiker who got stranded in the desert with a badly-sprained ankle and activated the strobe on his headlamp, placing it on a nearby boulder during the night. A passing private aircraft spotted the signal and radioed SAR who pulled the fellow out the next morning. Some people think the strobe is a useless feature, but I think of it as extra insurance.

Your headlamp also frees your hands should you be needing them for trekking poles, negotiating tricky parts of the trail, or carrying watermelons…

That having been said, my wife and I once made a 2-mile out of a canyon on a moonless night with nothing more than our Photon Freedom lights. The hike included several river crossings and a bit of scrambling over rocks. I suppose I would have preferred to have a headlamp under those circumstances but our Photons worked just fine. A person can generally get by with far less than he thinks he needs in most situations.

Michael

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools