Topic

Looking for a fitted merino T-shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a fitted merino T-shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Hi all,

I'm looking for a fitted merino T-shirt, something soft yet durable and retains its shape, hugs the body well (not baggy, but not constrictive) and works well for tall people (Arcteryx-type fit as opposed to Patagonia-type fit–the reason I mention this is that Capiline base layers always come untucked too easily for me).

It would function well on its own as an early autumn hiking shirt, but would also be useful as an undershirt (for in-town activities) during winter.

I know it's kind of a tall order, but if you know of such a shirt (maker), would you kindly let me know?

Thanks…

Edit: I'm 5'11" with a slim build

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Maybe the closest maker of an Arcteryx-type fit would be….

Arcteryx?

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

The Icebreaker Bodyfit line – several fabric weights and shirt styles…

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I have Smartwool, Icebreaker, and Stoic merino pieces. All sport a rather trim cut. Smartwool may have the most length, since you mentioned that being important, but I'm not "tall" so can't say if it'd work for you.

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

The Ibex stuff is very form fitting for me. I would recommend their t-shirt and woolies base layer. For me the smartwool stuff is very baggy in comparison (5'8" 155lb size M).

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Fwiw, I have two Icebreaker lightweight t-shirts; a superfine ultralight 140 wt and a gt velocity ss crewe 150 wt (non-zip version). You can tell the 140 is more sheer, but has has been significantly less durable than the gt. The collar is fraying and rolling after limited use. Not so happy with the 140.

On the other hand, I run in the gt quite a bit and it is holding up very well. Definitely a sport-fit with multi-panel athletic cut. The back and underarm areas are vented/mesh-like. Fasted drying merino shirt I have.

edit: I'm 6'1'' have a large and the length is fine as it has a moderate drop tail.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Icebreaker 140 –

Any fine garmet: Light, sheer, or durable – pick two.

140 is Very light. I'm getting holes in the legs simply from putting it on and taking it off. I bought it as a very light weight PJ bottom, and it has served very well for about 3 years.

But I'd recommend a heavier weight for more durability.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You could try something made for cyclists, like this from Hincapie:

http://www.hincapie.com/products/menswear/base_layers/?product=30200M&type=1

The company is fine, but I have no experience with the product itself.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

IO BIO euro tee.

Icebreaker starts at 150gm2 now, and the body fit is more fitted.

Their GT is fitted, longer in the body and sleeves and has a better fabric option for running, XC skiing and winter bike commuting

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Ibex woolies is very trim fitting but is ribbed-woven, so stretchy and non-constricting… comfy! If you're between sizes I'd go up one… great shirt.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have had a lot of success with MEC's brand:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442633260&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302888494

Slim, snug fit. Awesome price too.

John Wozniak

@woz9683

Locale: Southeast

I'm 5'11" 155lb. and I really like the Stoic merino Ts in Medium. Plenty of length to stay tucked in, form-fitting but not tight, and really soft. You can find pretty great deals on them on SAC from time to time too.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

another vote for MEC if you live in canada … if it wears apart, just take it back for premature implosion

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools