Topic

So everytime I go on a solo trip…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique So everytime I go on a solo trip…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    douglas ray

@dray

Locale: Olympic Peninsula

My best advice is to read the book “For Men only: A straitforeward guide to the inner lives of women” I just finished it and it is by fare the most usefull book I’ve ever come across for understanding your wife. It’s also easy to read and not all that long. Than you’ll be the one handing out marriage advice on the internet.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Can I take the book to read on a solo trip?
    Just kidding, I truly appreciate the well thought advice from everyone I realized when I posted this that things needed to change, whether it’s a lot of little stuff or as Jay points out some relationship counseling.
    Found the book on Amazon, I’ll try or local store first…I’ll try to bring this back around in the fall for, as they say, some closure.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i had a hardy laugh at your misfortune. well, kharma has bit me in the backside – my wife left a message yesterday morning on my cellphone informing me that the upstairs toilet overflowed and flooded the bathroom and laundry room below it.

when i got to my car after a wonderful 2 days at Dolly Sods, i listen to the message and than call her. i ask her if everything was ok and get a sob story about how she couldn’t make it stop overflowing no matter how many times she tried to flush. when i asked her if she turned the silver handle next to the toilet that turns the water off, she told me in no uncertain terms that it would not budge.

so i get home and the first thing i do is see if i can break the water valve free in case the toilet floods again – it turns freely with little force.

kharma my friends, kharma. now i have to worry what is going to happen next time i go backpacking.

-steve

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

And so another tale begins….

mark henley

@flash582

Dig a hole and build a outhouse, then tell your wife that you’re going to shut off all the toilets the next time your leaving.

Without a doubt, you’ll get some type of response!

peter pattenbury

@p-jay

Locale: Australia

And I thought I was the only bloke who had a back-packing incompatible partner.. thankyou for the insights guys..
    My 0.02c worth: lavish much time and attention and care on partner. Assure her she’s the one you want to spend your life with… but there’s some things a man’s gotta do. We aren’t all stamped out of a cookie cutter; tell her to enjoy the differences; it is not de-valuing her or your relationship. I know some people are selfish, or demanding, or insecure. I found a good counsellor works…

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

When you want to go backpacking, you could surprise her with an all-arrangements-made-by-you-in-advance weekend at a motel near her favorite shopping center, golf course, spa, etc. You both get to do something you enjoy – and there’s nobody left at home to screw up the plumbing.

mark henley

@flash582

Here’s probably the best idea yet.

When you leave on a Solo trip, hand her a few $20’s and ask her if she would mind buying some new shoes or a new outfit for herself, to wear out to dinner when you return. (The total value increases with trip length, by the way).

That way, you can equate your need for the backcountry with her need to buy shoes …. Viva la difference!

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools