Topic

BC ski gear for rugged, mileage focused touring

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking BC ski gear for rugged, mileage focused touring

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

David W, those skis with 3 pins and the heavier plastic/leather boots sound good for what you have in mind. You might be able to find the Eons on sale right now, too.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Re: "IMHO baackcountry skis W/O release bindings are unsafe for backcountry use." If you take that position, you just might be entering the zone where Dynafit Alpine Touring bindings (now known as "tech") edge out a 3-pin set-up, no? By the time you add releasable plates, the weight probably EXCEEDS the weight of a tech binding. I know, tech bindings plus specialized tech boots are VERY expensive. Most people probably will opt for the unsafe but cheaper, lighter, non-releasable 3-pin set up, in my non-expert opinion.

Jonathan Shefftz
    BPL Member

@jshefftz1

Locale: Western Mass.

"Re: "IMHO baackcountry skis W/O release bindings are unsafe for backcountry use." If you take that position, you just might be entering the zone where Dynafit Alpine Touring bindings (now known as "tech") edge out a 3-pin set-up, no?"
    Doesn't take much to enter that zone — my releasable rando race bindings weigh only 10.7 ounces, per pair, toe and heel combined, even including mounting screws:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/4228/rando-race-gear-review-2/

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Doug,

I'm preparing to mount my bindings on the Rossignal BC 125's I picked up. They have a "balance point" that I think it is the recommended binding placement. Would you go with that? Or the "cord center"? I'm a nOOb skier so I'd like to get the bindings straight the first time. I'd also like my skis to respond easily as I learn.

Douglas Ray

@dirtbagclimber

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I haven't skied my BC 125's enough to be sure yet weather I like where I mounted them. I put the pin line on there balance point, as has a friend of mine. They are fine except for being a little hooky sometimes. That means that they tend to catch an edge and snap around rather than really carve an arc. They are very easy to smear mounted that far back, but keeping the edge engaged seems harder. I need to ski them more to be sure, I'm not all that experienced myself.

I have considered pulling the bindings and moving them forward about 2cm. We'll see.

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Thanks Doug!

I think I'll try just forward of the balance point. I'm thinking 1-1.5 cm forward. I guess I'll find out if that'll work well. The BC 125's sure look nice. I can't wait to ski on them.

john ouellette

@beungood

Locale: Ma

For tame stuff I usually Rock NNN BC Magnum /Atomic Sierras/Fischer BCx6 NNNbc boots ,but I do have some heavier items laying around that I would like to use for steeper /deeper conditions in the Berkshires 3000'+. Some use lighter stuff some use Madshus Annums.

I have Violle 3 pin Hardwire CRB mounted on platforms wbrakes and Rossignol BC X-11 boots. Would these work with the Hard Flex BC 125's in 165? Im 165-ish and sometimes /most times carry a pack. I am fairly new to XC (3 years). Ive heard this binding makes the ski stiffer due to the platform. Would I be better off with the soft flex version? or a longer ski?

Ive also can get a deal on Madshus Eon. Would I be better with the this ski for the binding and boot above? Never tel'd before but am getting invites from friends out in the steeper part of the state..

Thanks,

Jack

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

John, most folks would likely find the BCX-11 too little boot to drive a 95mm waisted ski in all but nice, uniform powder. Setting an edge on harder stuff would be particularly problematic. The risers will only exacerbate that issue.

Depending on what you want to do with the rig, either get the Eon, or get a plastic boot. A longer, skinnier ski the Eon would be better for fire roads and rolling stuff through the woods, but not so good for steeper and more challenging terrain. It might also be fairly close in functionality to your NNN setup.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> "IMHO baackcountry skis W/O release bindings are unsafe for backcountry use."
    Hum ???
    In over 20 years of BC skiing I have never had release bindings. Never had any accidents as a result of the lack either. Started with leather 3-pin, now using NNN-BC.

As for 3-pin – yeah, good, but an old design, very heavy boots, and those plastic boots are murder for TOURING. OK for steep and deep maybe, but for long distances – DIE!.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools