Topic

Polycro v. Cuben – 1 – 1 substitute? – quilt, clothing, tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Polycro v. Cuben – 1 – 1 substitute? – quilt, clothing, tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Benz
    BPL Member

@paulbenz

Locale: SE Texas

I have searched and searched for reasons why one would not substitute polycro for cuben in a sleeping quilt ( http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD4%20WLQ.html ), or clothing, or even a tent.

Wondering if someone might be able to point out why someone has not done this. I am thinking I am missing something about polycro.

Thanks in advance

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Polycro is cool stuff but my understanding is that it's nowhere near as strong as cuben. The spectra strands inside cuben give it a huge amount of strength.

Also, polycro shrinks when it's exposed to heat. If you had a polycro tent and had it set up on a hot day it would shrink and warp…not ideal. This is from Gossamers Gear's page on their polycro groundsheets:

"WARNING: Since these sheets are made from shrink film they will shrink when exposed to extreme heat. We tested these sheets in heat this summer and found that the sheets shrink 1" to 2" (3 to 5 cm.) in width and up to 5" (13 cm.) in length. These sheets do not need to be in direct sunlight to shrink, just very hot temperatures."

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I'm not sure if it comes in different strengths/thickness, but the polycro I have has nowhere near the strength of even the lightest cuben fiber. Head over to your local hardware store and pick some up. I'm willing to make a lot of weight sacrifices and even I wouldn't go with a polycro quilt….Of course, I wouldn't be against it, so if you think it is suitable for your style, give it a go.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Anything that can be easily ripped with the hand is unsuitable for backpacking IMO. HYOH though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools