Topic

Lantern and Stove in one.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Lantern and Stove in one.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

So I was helping teach a backcountry cooking class yesterday at my work, and a few of us got talking about the possibility of placing a small pot of water on top of the Primus Micron lantern and using it as a stove. So i put 2 cups in a small pot, placed it on top, and set the timer. It took 18 minutes to boil, but only 9 minutes to reach 195. Slow, but i still thought it was kinda neat.Primus Lantern

Del Johnston

@deljohnston

Locale: Heart of Dixie

Hey, Scott! Good idea, that you could use in a pinch. I have the Coleman version of that small lantern and love it for camping (not carried for backpacking though). I also use the Optimus Crux stove, which is even smaller than the lantern.

If I were to carry the lantern with me, I would just as likely carry the stove as well, since it is so small. I wonder what the fuel usage is compared to the 3-4 minutes it takes with the stove.

The lantern might be great for things you don't necessarily WANT to be boiling hot. Hmmm. I would definitely have to have some sort of stabilizing system (rocks, stakes, etc) for the pot or other vessel.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

IN reality, if you were going to be using the lantern anyway, you arent using any additional fuel to boil the water. Might as well get 2 uses from the same amount of fuel. Sure the lantern is 4.4oz, but you wouldnt need a canister stove, if thats your thing.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Great idea, Scott. I tried it while car camping, to simmer a cup of soup. It worked great, although you need to be sure that the metal cup doesn't fall off. This will only work with a lantern that has a flat top, of course, like our Primus. Now, my inner geekiness is forcing me to figure out a type of stable support for the cup.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Here is a bigger lantern, with fabricated pot support. I'm trying to convince these guys that they need to do one for the smaller lanterns.

Pot support

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Thats pretty cool Josh. For the small Primus lantern, it seems like it would be quite easy to have a simple fold out pot support from the sides of the lantern "globe". And at 4.4 oz as is, its quite light and serves multi purposes.

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

Couple of titanium pegs through some stainless steel wire loops fixed to the top of the lantern should do it.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Fondue anyone?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools