Topic

Double walled mini volcano kettle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Double walled mini volcano kettle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 176 through 194 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Miguel

Is that YOUR artwork?
    I'm impressed if it is!

Cheers

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Hi Roger,

Yes, it is. Thanks!

It's what I do when I'm not getting into online squabbles!

(I've been an illustrator for the past 34 years)

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

Douglas,

I made a reasoned, objective post, you responded with a mindless, abusive post which added nothing to the debate.

In reply to your abusive post I made a further reasoned, objective post, including quotes to further illustrate the basis of my reasoning.

You then erased your abusive post, including your chosen title of " Incomprehensible drivel."

You also sent me a PM apology, describing your conduct as "snarkiness", and stating that you "could have disagreed like an adult, instead of like an ass".

Whilst I agree with your description of your conduct, your actions in erasing your abusive post and failing to address, explain or apologize for your online abuse in the thread in which you originally made it, render your apology insincere. In short, you lack integrity!

For the record, this is your PM I received, Mon, Feb 14, 2011 11:14 pm.

Message From User Follows:

My apologies for my snarkiness. I still very much disagree with your basic
    comment — I think posting to a forum under your own name and having a statement
    on your business website are two very different things, but I could have
    disagreed like an adult instead of like an ass.

Again, my apologies.

Doug

Pepe LP
    BPL Member

@pepelp

Locale: New Mexico

Miguel,

Be sure to copyright it, otherwise someone might steal it. :)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I don't know about posting a private message sent to you. Could there not be another way of dealing with this? Maybe editing your response to the "offensive" post?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

+1

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

P is for personal, not post +2

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Be sure to copyright it, otherwise someone might steal it. :)

Ha ha. I guess I'll then have to boycott myself, then, too. (o_O")/"

But I'm not getting drawn back into the debate. I don't believe in conditional apologies. And the image was made in reaction to the budding good humor.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Be sure to copyright it, otherwise someone might steal it. :)

Totally unnecessary to do anything. Simply by posting it here it is covered by international copyright laws. All artwork is. Text too, actually.

Cheers

james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

A poor mans copywriter is great, but you'll need a richmans lawyer to enforce it.

On another forum at the beginning of a now 17 page thread I outlined my idea a UL product based on a 140 year old patent. I offered the idea up with a provision that If any one wanted to run with it please send me one of the products, in titanium if possible, and a beer. When ten pages down the same thread a new and exciting product was announced, I received some rather cool responses to my request for acknowledgment (it was the same freak'n thread!) and it became clear that I would have to hire a lawyer to ever get that beer.

J D

@mustardman

"looks like Devin has a great design, but has failed to produce the product for consumer use. Is that not the truth?"

Devin hit some delays, but the first batch of boilers will be shipping within 2-3 weeks. They are also being sold through the shop here on BPL.

Petri Kiviniemi

@phoenix

Locale: Finland
    tim hower
    Spectator

@jeepcachr

Locale: Great Lakes

Ti-goat seems to be taking more flack than Mkettle. What do you expect him to do with the kettles he purchased? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have ordered them if someone had given him a heads up. What would BPL have done if they had sent that PO? Ti-goat is not the bad guy here. I hope he moves forward with the tii-kettle if it's viable. It's no more a copy of the back country boiler than the back country boiler is a copy of the kelly kettle.

I followed the development of the montgomery kettle from the beginning. There was a period of time I didn't think it would happen, especially when Devon went MIA. As others have pointed out would it even be shipping now if someone hadn't stolen his design and lit a fire under him? Would it be as light as it is if he didn't have a copy to compete with? If his kettle hadn't made it to production would there be all this squabbling or would you all be lining up to buy the mkettle from the BPL store?

FYI- I am currently awaiting the arrival of my back country boiler. I will hopefully be ordering some poles from ti-goat soon and I want one of those unobtainium axes.

Mick James

@mickjames

Devin I'm curious. Setting aside the Kelly myth/legend, it's clear that the copper Thermette inspired the aluminium Sirram, which became the prototype for the all the ghillie/storm/eydon kettles which in turn inspired you to make the lightweight BB. But in doing so you've reverted pretty quickly to what I might refer to as the "flat top" Thermette configuration–chimney and water inlet/outlet side-by-side.

So what was the point of that 75-year design detour into the side-spout configuration, with the handle and the cork-on-a-chain. Are there any benefits to it, from a design point of view?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The idea goes ,via the Samovar, all the way back to about 3600 years ago with vessels made out of pottery.
    The Thermette was , in my mind, an utilitarian version of the otherwise ornamental Samovar.

One point that some raised with the Backcountry boiler is that because of the flat opening they dribble when pouring. (that is the kettle dribbles, not the owner overcome by the excitment)
    Oddly I don't dribble. I might be doing something wrong…
    Franco

James L Moore
    BPL Member

@jameslmoore

I have to agree with Charles. I've been salivating over the Backcountry Boiler for a few months now, but it's still vaporware at this point. I've been frustrated by the lack of solid information and squishy, moving target dates. The BCB will be available …. when????

I give the mKettle folks credit for getting the stove into production.

I'd love to buy the Backcountry Burner, but at some point real products make more sense than wishes and hopes.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

The BCB sitting my living room is pretty solid (and heavy, at 8 ounces or so) for vapor.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm truly amazed at the volume of response to this kettle thread. I had no idea there were so many "Kettleheads" out there.

My woodburning stove is a 3 cup pot CC ti Sidewinder with the woodburning Inferno insert. It's so versatile I'd never consider a kettle, which can only boil water.

That said it's this variety that makes the light backpacking community so interesting. Like the tarpers, tenters and hammockers, we all march to different drummers in the same parade down the trail.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Granted, I'm kind of wondering what's up with this project, too, but…

necro!

Viewing 19 posts - 176 through 194 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools