Topic

Double walled mini volcano kettle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Double walled mini volcano kettle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Hi all,

If I can ask for a favor – let's not burn everything down just yet. I really appreciate the support from those who have been following my progress, but please reserve judgement.

Again, I'll keep this group updated.

Best,
    Devin

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

Sorry Devin,

I'm going to have to blame the Russian spies on this one. There's really no other way this could have happened.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

I didn't know Ryan was Russian…

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Outside manufacturer? Bollocks. I'm not one to typically believe in schemes and conspiracies, but that BPL kettle sure does appear to be a replica of the Montgomery Kettle that was displayed in detail throughout the design phase and development in this thread: Ultralight Kelly / Storm / Volcano Kettle

I'm dumbfounded.

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

http://yfrog.com/5yl7oj

See comments!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I received an email yesterday regarding a UL cottage manufacturer making a cuben version of my Ebira rod quiver for a customer. This is frustrating to say the least when I consider the amount of time and effort I have put into my design and bringing it to market. I do not have a patent on the concept so there is likely little I can do but visit with the maker and try to come to an understanding. To his credit the UL cottage manufacturer sent me the email and attached picture regarding what he had made, but I'm still frustrated.

As with most good ideas at some point it is going to be copied.

Thom
    TrailLite Designs

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

See comments!

Looks like Mr. Kettle doesn't like the name! :)

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Ugh. I have my own thoughts about the trademark office allowing Kelly Kettle to register "Volcano Kettle." The term appears to have been used in common parlance to refer to any number of this kind of kettle for decades and decades, but in 2006, Kelly Kettle decides they own it.

Kelly and this "mKettle" deserve each other.

But in news related to my project, I want everyone to know that I am moving forward to work out a way to make it available ASAP. It is indeed far lighter than anything else including this new entrant, and clearly more awesomer.

I also plan to be way more awesomer than these folks when it comes to how I operate. The other thing that I would like to again note, since I'm the person who knows the most about all of this, is that Ryan Jordan and BPL have (like me) been awesome in all of this. Don't get them all tied up and confused with this riffraff. :)

Edit: That's a real bummer, Thom. As any regular of this forum can attest, you are the king of awesomeness.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Ahh, good to hear your kettle is lighter Devin. Sounds like Ryan has done the right thing too, so good news all round. Sounds like you might need to train up an apprentice to get enough of these made quick enough though, with everything else you have on your plate.

I have to dispute your claim that it's lighter than everything else though. ;-)

However, after my own experience with less than gentlemanly opposition I won't be bringing my design to the marketplace.

Not until I have a better production method nailed anyway… :-)

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Rog – please consider my claim appropriately qualified. :)

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Please let it be known the stove photographed by Ryan was not designed nor built by BPL. We were in the process of considering bringing into the store what we thought was a beautiful kettle-type stove design.

We were soon after alerted to the possibility of the design having been stolen from Devin and quickly put the discussion on hold. We hold the members of our community in the highest regard and have been in communication with Devin regarding as such.

Cheers,
    Sam
    Gear Shop Manager

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Good to hear Sam, good to hear!

-Tim

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

This is the MKettle info…

http://www.mkettle.com/

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Yes, like Tim, and I am sure many others who have been following and cheering Devin's design and efforts, I am pleased to read Sam's comments and his assurances on BPL's behalf. Mike

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

The mkettle website is interesting – just so crazy how similar it is. Anyway, they are located in the UK so there is plenty of room for 2 to play. But 13 oz is kinda heavy to be honest.

What does Devin's weigh again? Something like 6 oz? Much lighter.

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

AW MAN IT WAS THE BRITS!!!

BP HAS to be in on it! There's just no other way!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Looks like a design rip off to me, they are just too similar on a odd ball product for it not to be.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice to hear this is being resolved.

At 13oz the mKettle isn't a viable alternative to Devin's 6oz kettle. Even if the mKettle was free, I'd rather pay $60 to have 6oz one.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

No kidding… I'm always amazed at what some companies think of as "lightweight" when the advertise stuff. Like a Linhof Tehnikardan… sounds like a great field camera; lots of movements, sturdy, packs up into a compact bundle… and it's nice and light at only 7.5 pounds!

Aargh.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

"At 13oz the mKettle isn't a viable alternative to Devin's 6oz kettle."

At 13oz, it isn't much lighter than a 1Pt Kelly Kettle with the wire and wood handle removed.

Well done BPL for moving quickly on this.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

What I like about a kettle design is that it lets you use wood without all the soot hassles of cooking with a pot over a wood fire.

I wonder if a shorter, more compact version of Devin's kettle is possible? I'm sure his current design would be more efficient, but with the usually limitless supply of wood in the forest, I would probably be happy to collect a little more wood and wait a little longer for a boil in exchange for a more compact product. Something about 2/3rds as high would be nice, but it would still need to hold 2 cups.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Something about 2/3rds as high would be nice, but it would still need to hold 2 cups.

I guess one of the advantages of the original tapered Kelly Kettle is that with the heavy handle removed, you can slot the fire cup over the chimney top to make the combo more compact to carry.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Here's a patented 'Sirram kettle' complete with integral water carrying jug from the postwar years.

Look familiar?

.sirram

"SIRRAM is MARRIS backwards, heres a bit of info I gleaned from the internet about this kettle, very rare to come across a second hand one for sale apparently.

Marris's Ltd diversified from producing brass fern pots and bedstead knobs to picnic ware in 1906 (sales £3,000pa) using the brand name Sirram. I don't have any product details as to when aluminium was used instead of brass for the methylated spirit stoves. The burner itself was always brass. Leatherette covered Picnic outfits were developed soon after WW1 as a fashionable accessory to the motor cars of that era and remained in production until the early 1970's.

Father was shown a brazed copper Volcano kettle in the early 1930's by, I think, a New Zealander. He quickly saw the merit of the design and after a lot of experimentation made it in aluminium and patented it. The body and the liner were spun from discs of sheet aluminium. There were only two craftsmen in the Birmingham factory who could do this and only one of those who could put the two parts together without them leaking! The other problem at that time was obtaining aluminium without any inclusions, which would only manifest themselves when the stove was used in the form of pin holes. Ireland was a big market for them.

They were advertised as boiling three pints in three minutes using one copy of the Times, which was a great deal smaller in those days. Halfords were the largest customer for all the stoves.
    Production of all the Sirram stoves finished about 1970 when the French Bluet stove arrived with its little blue gas cylinders."

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

If this gets made into a movie, I assert the copyright to:

Bushcooker 2: Rise of the Kettle

(For anyone that doesn't remember: http://www.qvistoutdoorcooking.eu/Advertenties/BushCooker%200%20ad.jpg)

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

:)

Where did you end up choosing for law school, Chris? Say Lewis & Clark…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools