Topic

Double walled mini volcano kettle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Double walled mini volcano kettle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

Ryan Jordan tweeted the following:
    Excited to release a new double walled mini volcano kettle at @backpacking next month…

Link: http://twitter.com/#!/bigskyry/status/28708960477

Anyone know anything about this?

Image here: http://yfrog.com/5yl7oj

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Is this the reason why we haven't heard any updates on the Montgomery Kettle lately?

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

Hopefully the price will be similar to the numbers mentioned in the previous threads!

Jeff Moody

@bigtiki

I was wondering the same thing. Looks pretty similar.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

There was this tweet a few days ago:

"Brewed tea streamside on the Firehole this weekend with the spectacular new mKettle and 6 small sticks."

I wondered what it could be and now it makes perfect sense.

"mKettle" = MontgomeryKettle?

The picture above sure looks like the kettle on Devin's blog, down to the neoprene cover.

Dutch Anderson

@silveradodutchman

Locale: Central Florida

wonder what it weighs? Capacity?

Silveradodutchman

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Dude, that's gotta be Devin's kettle…

Heres a pic of his:

(anodized and non-anondized)

kettle
    ketl1

Heres the announced BPL kettle:
    bpl ketl

Now im just confused…where do pre-orders stand? Will pricing change? I (or we) have been waiting half a year… Would love to hear from him

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

ya whats up with that, thats obviously a montgomery kettle, with the cozy devin was talking about… I hope we hear something soon!

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

I truly hope that all this turns out well.

It just seems strange that Devin has not been communicating and then a similar kettle surfaces.

I would like to give Devin the "benefit of the doubt", and let us know where he is and his status/progress.

Z.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

That's gotta be Devin's kettle. Very cool product. My guess is that BPL made him an offer to purchase a large qty for a higher price in exchange for exclusivity.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I'm gonna give Devin the benefit of the doubt and hope that isn't the case.

If it is, I definitely think he owes those of us that committed to pre-orders an explanation. At this point however, that's just pure speculation.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Even if Devin has agreed to an exclusive deal with BPL, I imagine he would still fill the preorders he has taken.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

Does anybody know the weight of this kettle???

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

"Even if Devin has agreed to an exclusive deal with BPL, I imagine he would still fill the preorders he has taken."

I would suspect he made it a pre-condition of any deal he did with BPL for exclusive rights.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Devin's kettle is 6oz and holds about 2 cups of water.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Hi All,

First, I have to apologize for being MIA for so long. As I hope I expressed in my last email to those who reserved the kettle (gosh, in late June or July I think), I had fallen significantly behind in my production schedule. Since then, I smashed my foot pretty good on the SHR (a story of its own, but I'm fine), and have fallen into the myopia of nearly full time work and, starting in late August, also being a full time student.

While this kettle does bear a, uh, striking resemblance to mine, this isn't something I had been working on with BPL. If I had been, I absolutely would have told you all.

When I saw this, I was as surprised as you all and flipped out a bit to Ryan. Not surprisingly, he responded with complete aplomb, dispelling many of my initial concerns. As it turns out, Ryan wasn't aware of my project (not surprising given all that he has going on) and was independently approached about this by an outside manufacturer.

So while BPL and I weren't initially working together on this, we are now discussing how an ultralight chimney kettle can best be brought to market. I will absolutely keep those who reserved my kettles (and others) up to date on this, as will Ryan I suspect. The upshot of all of this may be very good news for everyone involved.

I hope that answers some basic questions, and I'll relay a similar message to the mailing list I have for those who have reserved my kettles. Again, stay tuned; I (we) are working on it.

Best,
    Devin

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

First off, glad to hear you're okay Devin…it really did seem odd when you vanished. 2ndly, for real!? An independent manufacturer came up with this himself ?? I'd be furious myself, but it seems like things are working out between the parties involved. Here's hoping for the best, and you getting the cred you deserve. Best of luck!

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Why did the outside vendor call it an mKettle ? Mini ? Really ?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Although it is a great idea, I had also considered an ultralight version of the Kelly kettle.
    I can see how two people could have had similar designs. The weight and shape makes it doable for backpacking.

I had never considered the neoprene cozy though. That is a good idea.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Dr Jordan really ought to keep a closer eye on the website he owns.

Who is the 'outside manufacturer'? Anyone we know?

After the hoohah Ryan raised about the bushbuddy knockoff last year, this is ,,, surprising.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

The perfect resemblance makes it hard to believe this 'outside manufacturer' didn't have an eye on Devin's designs.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

"They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds"

amazing

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

They could easily have both been using the Kelly Kettles as inspiration, without any knowledge about each other. Kelly Kettles have been around for quite a while as far as I can tell, just not in an ultra-light incarnation, at least until Devin and this mysterious third party got in on the action.

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Unfortunately it sometimes comes down to time to market.

It's possible that the development was completely in parallel to each other…especially since there are already heavy alternatives out there. However they do look like copies of each other.

In the end it sometimes comes down to who has a product ready to sell first. Later…when there are multiple builders of the same product it comes down to price, quality, service, naturally weight…all the other things we look for.

Hopefully it all works out in this case.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

great to hear your ok, was really starting to wonder, I cant believe there is someone else making such a similar kettle, o'well at least yours are still coming along, any idea when they might be done?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools