Topic

Bear Paw Tents Pyra tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear Paw Tents Pyra tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Anyone have any experiences with the Pyra or the Pyra Net tents?

I've been eying the Bear Paw Tents Pyra and Pyra Net 1 for solo use.

Weight and cost are the big draws for me. I've had good experience with Bear Paw, as well.

Pyra: 10 oz, or 17 oz w/ removable vestibule – $120
    Pyra Net 1: 8 oz – $90.

There are (always) lighter options, but at 18-25 oz and for $210 it's looking pretty good to me. Thoughts?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Awesome workmanship, great value and super turn-around/shipping time. I have dealt with BearPaw before and am very happy with the items i have gotten. Stock stuff or custom orders, he will work with you to make you one happy camper. John is a pleasure to buy from and really stands by his stuff. He had a customer that was not satisfied no matter what he did, so he let the guy keep the tent AND refunded his cost for it INCLUDING shipping! Ya' don't hear about that every day….

BF

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

+1 they modified my tent with a bug net and a mesh door and couldnt have been nicer or done a better job.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I ended up going with the Pyra tent, still working out details. I purchased a Canopy 1 tarp from him earlier in the month, but would like something a little bigger. If anyone would like to buy the Canopy 1 from me for $65 (what I paid for it), let me know. Otherwise it's going back to John and put towards a Pyra Tent + Pyra Net 1 setup.

The 30D sil floors I've used on tents are so slippery that I may end up going with the 70D floor which he says isn't quite as slippery. My problem isn't slipping around on the floor inside the tent so much as a 30D sil tent floor itself will slide down the slightest incline, a problem I've never had with PU coated floors. Weight wise it should come out even- shouldn't need to use a Tyvek groundcloth with the thicker floor. John has been very responsive and helpful in helping me figure out what I need.

I'll post a review when I get the chance to use it- looks like a nice tent and a decent weight, especially given the price and the kind of service John provides.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Excellent choice :)

BF

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

I recently ordered a mildly customized cuben PyraTent with fixed vestibule, plus single PyraNet with cuben floor and 10" walls, and made-up pole from John at BearPaw Wilderness Designs.

The service was impeccable. I received rapid and helpful responses to email requests, John took an (unavoidable) lengthy international phone call at night, and easily surpassed my tight deadline.

The PyraTent has almost a hand-hewn appearance that I rather like, rather than being a machine product. I had not experienced cuben before (here in Korea), but it seems to be a material that one can get close to, and not feel uncomfortable.

Excellent service.
    I haven't had the opportunity to test the tent in the wild yet – but very soon.

Ludo P.

@fils

Locale: France

As said before, awsome work done by John Stultz for the Shangri-La 3 Modified innerNet I ordered.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Could you post the weight of the Shangrila 3 Inner net? I had John make me a solid 3/4 inner for my SL3(pics on his site) that came in at 24oz as I recall.

Ludo P.

@fils

Locale: France

the weight is just less than 21oz (exactly 587g).
    I choose silnylon floor.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

Another bearpaw satisfied customer here, he made me a custom 3 people 12 oz / 340g inner for my shangri la 5 for a decent price :

http://www.randonner-leger.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15726

sorry the text is in french but the photos show the result :)

Joe Newton
    BPL Member

@grayjoe

I dont have any experience with the Pyra but I have one of John's minimalists net tents. Great workmanship. John was also a pleasure to work with. I am confident you will like his product or he will make it right with you. He's a straight up guy.

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

I guess I was unlucky because the workmanship (stitching etc.) on my "Pyranet 1" inner is below average compared to other cottage manufacturers I've encountered. Still I'm ok with it because of the great price and quick delivery.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools