Topic

Titanium Snips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Titanium Snips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Hey all,

Another tool question. Any recommendations for cutting 0.016 inch 6Al4V Titanium Sheet from thru-hiker? Will any set of good metal snips from Home Depot (or wherever) do the job? I see that you can buy left, right and bi-directional snips. What’s that about?

Thanks.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Oddly enough, I’m actually familiar with those terms. They refer to both the ‘handed’ness of which hand is easiest to hold the tool with, as well as how easy it is to ‘turn’ your cut in a particular direction.

Most sheet metal shops / workers have/use all three.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Thru-hiker’s forum had a question/answer on that topic recently

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

The brasslite guy recommends these snips for brass in his dyi stove instructions, but I have used them on 0.012 stainless steel, they make a curved (SHR-533.00) and straight (SHR-532.00) blade:

http://www.shorinternational.com/ScissorSnip.htm

You might need the traditional tin snips or aviator snips for that thickness, but the two mentioned above are very nice and handy. I use them constantly. They are a size smaller than traditional snips and make small cuts easy, but still cut long (25″) straight lines.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools