Topic

omni heat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) omni heat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

anyone try it yet? … would love to hear real live usage opinions

http://www.columbiasportswear.ca/Omni-Heat/Science_Omni-Heat,default,pg.html

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

me too…is this for real, or just hype?

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I don't know if i have ever seen anyting advertised as much as the omni heat in the magazines I get. It seems to be everywhere!

David Ure

@familyguy

Backpacker likes it.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The liner (moisture wicking polyester) has 35% of its surface area covered by a non-breathable reflective layer. This will increase the clo value of the liner by ~20% while still allowing moisture vapor to escape but at a ~35% reduced rate.

This liner should result in a noticeable warmth improvement if you are wearing only a liner / shell over a thin base layer. It will provide proportionally less benefit as the amount of synthetic or down insulation contribution to the garment's total insulation is increased.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

so kind of like a semi vbl?

would you have a similar effect by wearing a shell that is a bit less breathable?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Eric,

The feature that provides the clo increase is the reflective dots, not the inadvertent reduction in breathability. The reduction in breathability (35% VBL) would be construed as a negative by the average person and so this isn't mentioned in their marketing literature.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I live a few minutes from Columbia's HQ and have access to their employee store where I can see and try on most of the their current products. Note: I do not work for Columbia.

Most of the omni heat line is either down jackets or softshells, with a few hybrid softshell/fleece pieces and gloves, hats and winter boots. The Omni Heat does feel warm, more so than a similar piece (like comparing 2 similar weight softshells). I think that the quality of the products are very good.

However, there are not any UL products right now. Most would be geared for winter skiing or just as casual everyday jackets. So, for the UL user here, the option of having omni heat wouldn't outweigh the heavier product itself.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Your body loses heat by:

1. conduction (Solid-to-solid heat transfer)

2. convection (solid to air heat transfer)

3. radiation (infra red radiation through garments & their openings)

4. respiration (a combo of convection and conduction)

"Omni Heat" reflective layer works only on radiation heat loss – and not at 100% of reflectivity either.

"20% warmer", as mentioned in aother response above, is really relative to how much other insulation your are wearing.

tommy d

@vinovampire

I just bought a Columbia Omni Heat Neck Gaiter to replace an older Columbia model that I can no longer find in my gear closet. I use this only for snowshoe trips during the winter.

The fact that the garment has "omni heat" had absolutely nothing to do with why I bought the item. The reasons why I bought this item were (a) I liked my old Columbia neck gaiter, (b) it fit well, (c) it was only $18, and (d) I can turn it inside out and wear it like a silly, bedazzled hat.

I haven't worn it out in the field yet. My only concern is that the dots may feel itchy on my otherwise exposed skin.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools