Topic

nPower PEG- energy form motion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) nPower PEG- energy form motion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Has anyone purchased one of these or tried one out?

http://www.npowerpeg.com/

At twelve ounces and $149 it is a little pricy and heavy but probably competitive with good solar panels and likely more reliable since it should work whenever you're moving (even on cloudy days :-)

-Mark

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.
    Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Still waiting on mine to ship. Same story as Roman.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Hmmmm- their website says they are shipping now but only in the U.S. I notice that Roman's post was from Aug 2, but, cameron, you're still waiting which is more problematic. Even though they say they are shipping they also say that it my be up to a 6 week wait. I guess I will keep watching for now.

-Mark

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Yeah, last I heard from them, edited for briefness.

October 25

We began shipping the first nPower® PEG units before Labor Day and continue to build, test, and ship product each week. Unfortunately, this process has taken longer than expected, primarily due to the delayed delivery of the unique, custom-made battery that goes inside of every PEG.

This tube-shaped battery is a world’s first, and the supplier is having difficulties manufacturing them in quantity. The supplier is, however, delivering a small supply of batteries each week.

The battery ….must be sealed properly in order to meet our stringent safety and environmental requirements. Due to the battery’s unique shape, the supplier is having difficulty automating the process of making that seal correctly. Therefore, each and every battery is currently being made and inspected by hand.

We realize that these delays have been much longer than any of us had ever anticipated, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We are working closely with this supplier to find a way to speed up this process (as well as reaching out to new, potential battery suppliers).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Has anyone purchased one of these or tried one out?"

I haven't. I'll bet a guy using one of these might be arrested for lewd behavior. Be careful.

–B.G.–

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

cameron- Their Facebook page indicates the same thing, that they are shipping very slooowly. From what I could gather the have well over 500 pre-orders to fill so it sounds like it may take some time.

Well if you ever get one please post a review.
    Thanks for the info.
    -Mark

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

12 oz is heavy. Max storage is 1000mAh.

My Blackberry battery weighs 1 oz and has a 1400mAh capacity. So I could carry 12 batteries for the same weight.

My Cannon SD1200IS camera battery weighs .6 oz and has a 750mAh rating, but cannot be recharged via any connectible charger. However 20 cannon batteries would weight 12 oz.

You may need an optional adapter to connect to your devices.

Plus, do we know if it even works? I could not find any reviews.

For me it doesn't matter, because the only electrical device I ever bring is a Photon II or Tikka.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Deleted: double post.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Hey Mark, I had hoped to carry them in the store for a while. I emailed them a number of times with no response at all. When I first heard about it over a year ago I was excited to see some developments in the idea, but with no communication from them in a year I am less interested. my 2 cents.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Mike,

That solves the problem with devices that do not charge through the USB port. But you would have to bring it along with the nPower PEG for the OP's original question should a person have a device that does not charge through the USB port. I do not have a need for either, as I don't carry electronics with me. But for a person who does it might be a solution (now over 1 lb for the combo solution).

The ideal solution would be solar, but the small units are not really practical. I do have a lot of solar experience, and my tent trailer has solar panels rated at 250 watts.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I'm with Nick on this one. I'm disappointed with it's storage capability. 1000 mAh…that's it!??! There are ton's of batteries out there (e.g. lithium polymer) that are tiny with storage capacities that are 2500+ mAh. Why you would choose to carry this, plus additional adapters, as opposed to just extra batteries is beyond me. You can carry a lot of spare batteries for the same weight. If you were on a through hike, you'd be batter off mailing batteries to your next resupply. And for the cost, you could easily buy non-OEM batteries for your devices and still be lighter and accomplish the same task. If it were a 6 oz device, or if it had a much much larger capacity, then I'd bite. It would be a fun toy, but I don't think it's practical enough to carry just yet.

Oh…and it reminds me of a shake weight :D
    shake

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> This tube-shaped battery is a world’s first, and the supplier is having
    > difficulties manufacturing them in quantity. The supplier is, however, delivering
    > a small supply of batteries each week.

Having a little knowledge of the battery-manufacturing process and industry, I have some trouble believing this. The manufacturers rarely do such tiny production runs – it simply is not economic.

> The battery ….must be sealed properly in order to meet our stringent safety
    > and environmental requirements.
    Lovely story, but with the amount of experience the battery manufactures have in doing this for ordinary AA lithiums and for camera and laptop batteries, I find it hard to believe that there is something special here.

Maybe I am just too cynical?

cheers

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

From our summer OR coverage:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm2010_day_3_treasure_hunt.html

They're also working on lighter-weight models, but this could still have some applications for us. We might be reviewing one when they become readily available.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"The manufacturers rarely do such tiny production runs – it simply is not economic."

True, but maybe what is happening is that the individual cells (mass produced) are assembled into a battery to fit the particular shape ..
    If that is the case , it is an expensive way of doing it.
    Franco

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

I received an email a week ago saying my order was filled.

I never received a notice the device had/has shipped.
    No tracking information was sent.

Just a vague email saying the order was filled.

I do not have an nPower PEG.

I would not do business with this company, knowing what the experience has been like. I'd suggest trying to buy one from the few people who have received them on FaceBook.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Total scam. Never got the unit. Emails have stopped.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Did you try calling them?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You waited from 11/16 to 1/19? Hope you paid with a credit card. Even then, the window is normally 60 days. You better hurry up with notifying your credit card issuer — if you haven't already. Best of luck and thanks for the warning.

Yohei Aoyagi
    BPL Member

@zzz_bear

Locale: Tokyo

Anyone got npower peg?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Got a refund from them.

Ken Nguyen
    BPL Member

@ninjapuppet

Locale: B-Town

has anyone gotten one of these yet?

I saw one on eBay but … the dude only has 1 feedback and lives in taiwan??

Has anyone got updates on this company's progress?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260796938343&fromMakeTrack=true#ht_500wt_1156

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools