Topic

last trip of 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports last trip of 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

LAST TRIP OF 2010 ON THE SUPERIOR HIKING TRAIL
    On the morning of Oct 21st, my wife and I along with our friend Connie, embarked on our last trip of the year. It was a cool, clear 36 degree morning. We started out at MN Highway 1 at 9:30 AM. Our goal was the Section 13 campsite, 8.2 miles north of our starting point. One immediate difference I noticed from last month was the lack of foliage; which actually afforded much better views of Lake Superior. The route had some serious altitude challenges for our middle aged trio. We took a long lunch at an overlook of the Lake. When we arrived at the campsite after filtering water (it is a dry campsite), we found it occupied by a father and son team, Kevin and Josh Meyer, who graciously invited us to stay. They were great guys even though they are Packer fans. Josh had built a nice fire which really felt good during the cool evening. The next morning when we got up he had another fire already started. After breakfast, we got started around 9:40. Since the area was closing for deer hunting on the 23rd, we had to do 12.3 miles to reach our campsite at Sonju Lake. The scenery was spectacular once again. We had great lake views, a glacial erratic, numerous cedar groves, and a long crossing of a beaver dam. It was an incredible late fall day on a great trail. As we reached our campsite it felt bittersweet knowing that this was to be our last night (#21) in a tent this year. The dinner, chocolate and adult beverage of choice never tasted better. The next morning after breakfast we broke camp and headed out at 8:30. We reached the trailhead in 45 minutes. This trip was a great finish to a great year. This link will get you to our trip pictures.
    End of the trail

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I enjoyed the photos, lots of colors and textures.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools